HomeManage crashes if you try to edit Columns Preferences while Category or View tab is displayed and no Category or View is selected

garlin007

This bug is repeatable.

1. Show the Category tab or View tab in the main screen. Do not select any Category or View.

2. Select Tools, Preferences from the menu.

3. Select the Columns tab.

4. HomeManage crashes.

5. I did not test all of the Views, but the program also crashes when some views are selected. E.g. Vehicles.

So that the user can edit the columns for the current view, HomeManage tries to select the currently displayed view in the Categories (of which "Showing a Category" is one of the values) dropdown on the Columns tab of the Preferences dialog. I think there is a bug in the Preferences when it tries to determine which view is active and no Category is selected.

RELATED ISSUES / SUGGESTIONS

Suggestion 1: There are 8 views in the Categories: dropdown. If the user selects a view other than one of the 8 (e.g. Status, Purchases, Groups, Warranty Expiration) then the Categories: is blank. Although it is possible to edit the columns from this dialog, the scheme isn't named and so it isn't possible to edit it without opening the preferences dialog while the view is being shown on the main screen. This makes it difficult to edit several views or to compare views. For example, if I wanted to replace AssetNum with HomeManageID on all my views, I couldn't do it by just opening the Columns preferences and using the drop down to iterate through the views. My suggestion is that every view should be named and be accessible via the Categories: drop down.

Suggestion 2: I suggest that "View:" (singular) might be a better name than "Categories:" for the dropdown on the Columns preferences tab.

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much for the detailed report, we duplicated and fixed your crash bug. Our 2015 Edition of HomeManage will be out around August 23.

This bug is repeatable.

1. Show the Category tab or View tab in the main screen. Do not select any Category or View.

2. Select Tools, Preferences from the menu.

3. Select the Columns tab.

4. HomeManage crashes.

5. I did not test all of the Views, but the program also crashes when some views are selected. E.g. Vehicles.

So that the user can edit the columns for the current view, HomeManage tries to select the currently displayed view in the Categories (of which "Showing a Category" is one of the values) dropdown on the Columns tab of the Preferences dialog. I think there is a bug in the Preferences when it tries to determine which view is active and no Category is selected.

RELATED ISSUES / SUGGESTIONS

Suggestion 1: There are 8 views in the Categories: dropdown. If the user selects a view other than one of the 8 (e.g. Status, Purchases, Groups, Warranty Expiration) then the Categories: is blank. Although it is possible to edit the columns from this dialog, the scheme isn't named and so it isn't possible to edit it without opening the preferences dialog while the view is being shown on the main screen. This makes it difficult to edit several views or to compare views. For example, if I wanted to replace AssetNum with HomeManageID on all my views, I couldn't do it by just opening the Columns preferences and using the drop down to iterate through the views. My suggestion is that every view should be named and be accessible via the Categories: drop down.

Suggestion 2: I suggest that "View:" (singular) might be a better name than "Categories:" for the dropdown on the Columns preferences tab.