Database and program updates?

Guest Jim MacKenzie

Guest Jim MacKenzie

I purchased CoinManage Canada 2013 when it was first released. It promised annual database updates and software updates, and lifetime download access. Since then I have checked every year for updates of ANY kind and had no luck whatsoever. I tried to e-mail your tech support several times and never got a single reply. Were all those promises just part of your marketing strategy? I'm considering upgrading, but if my experience is any indication I'll just move on with my life and never buy from your company again.
And the reason for posting this here is the fact that every time I try to contact your company by e-mail I just get added to the "Ignore Pile"...

Hi Jim,

We have recently spent several day entering the latest Canadian issues to the program. Several hundred new Collector Coin & Collector Set issues, etc... Right now the data is in the latest update to the CoinManage Deluxe, we will be creating a separate CoinManage Canada 2017 product in the next couple days.  I will email you the upgrade info as soon as it is ready.

11 hours ago, admin said:

Hi Jim,

We have recently spent several day entering the latest Canadian issues to the program. Several hundred new Collector Coin & Collector Set issues, etc... Right now the data is in the latest update to the CoinManage Deluxe, we will be creating a separate CoinManage Canada 2017 product in the next couple days.  I will email you the upgrade info as soon as it is ready.

Free update for the 2013 version? I just realized I wasn't registered in this forum. I am now... I assume that you can extract my e-mail address from my account here?

I just purchased CoinManage.  The program works well, but the database is very out of date. All my old coins were entered easily into inventory...then you hit an empty zone with recent coins.

Newer issues (last ten years) are barely represented in the database.  It's as if someone gave up on updating a few years ago, there's no double checking for accuracy.

One example:  try to enter a 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Coin.  The photo that goes with the $1 is of a gold coin and vice versa.  Someone must have been very tired or drinking when working on that section.  Not sure if there is an upgrade available or if I just have to do the data entry myself instead of putting this program on the shelf.

Any news or support on this issue?

Bob

We have updated CoinManage USA & CoinManage Deluxe several times in the past month.  Anyone who has not updated using HELP > CHECK FOR UPDATES within the last month or so, please do so.  We have added several hundred recent Canadian coins & sets.  Many VAM varieties for Morgan Dollars plus the latest issues from the US Mint. 

6 hours ago, admin said:

We have updated CoinManage USA & CoinManage Deluxe several times in the past month.  Anyone who has not updated using HELP > CHECK FOR UPDATES within the last month or so, please do so.  We have added several hundred recent Canadian coins & sets.  Many VAM varieties for Morgan Dollars plus the latest issues from the US Mint. 

"Update Error. Update information for CoinManage Canada could not be downloaded"

7 minutes ago, Jim MacKenzie said:

"Update Error. Update information for CoinManage Canada could not be downloaded"

the updates were for CoinManage USA & Deluxe as I stated. Please check your email for info on getting the latest CoinManage Canada download

10 hours ago, Guest Bob said:

I just purchased CoinManage.  The program works well, but the database is very out of date. All my old coins were entered easily into inventory...then you hit an empty zone with recent coins.

Newer issues (last ten years) are barely represented in the database.  It's as if someone gave up on updating a few years ago, there's no double checking for accuracy.

One example:  try to enter a 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Coin.  The photo that goes with the $1 is of a gold coin and vice versa.  Someone must have been very tired or drinking when working on that section.  Not sure if there is an upgrade available or if I just have to do the data entry myself instead of putting this program on the shelf.

Any news or support on this issue?

Bob

Tired maybe, drinking not a chance.  We will correct these image errors.   

1 minute ago, admin said:

Tired maybe, drinking not a chance.  We will correct these image errors.   

I have always just assumed that you didn't have publication rights to good images of EVERY coin in existence, so you simply used a similar type image in their place. Not a problem for me, as I have simply replaced the stock photos with actual photos of my coins. I'm lucky in that I have a full blown coin photography setup and can easily produce my own images.
I know exactly how hard this is, because I have collected images for my coin club's web site. It's a daunting task to find out who actually owns the publication rights to an image, or if the image is considered public domain. Thankfully my needs are for educational purposes only, so the image owners have been great about granting permission.

27 minutes ago, admin said:

the updates were for CoinManage USA & Deluxe as I stated. Please check your email for info on getting the latest CoinManage Canada download

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll start upgrading this morning...

Update complete, everything went seamlessly. My existing database and all of the images I added were imported without a hitch. I was a little worried because the desktop icon it created read "CoinManage USA 2017" but when I launched it, it was indeed CoinManage Canada. Just a little glitch in the install program that's easily corrected (but maybe send this in for correction in future versions?)...

Thanks again for your help!

• 1 month later...

a few newbie questions ;)

#1-I am curious where you get your canadian coin pricing from?

#2-Is the american data coming from PCGS exclusively?

#3- To whom do we report missing info?

#4-Is there a particular report that would be useful to produce a pick list from?

BY "picklist" here is what I mean.

Often I go to auctions, it would be nice to have a printed list of all coins at the auction, with  the pricing data in a row.

Ideally this is how I currently manage this.

I request a list of inventory from the auction house.
I dump that into a spreadsheet
Then I research each coin and list every value from "G" to "SP" and everything in between, each one in its own column.
Then i go to auction and view the coins in advance, visually estimating grade and recording that or the listed grade they provide, once verified.

Huge time vampire and i believe your software should be able to relieve this, so here is my request.

Is there a way I can create a collection in CM, adding one of each coin in the auctions inventory to that collection.
His first part I know is possible, but the next I am not sure of.

Next part is, how do I then produce a report that would have all the pricing and possible variant data for each coin selected, to the right for checking off, circling etc by hand when at the auction.

You might be wondering why I would want a printed copy, it just isnt easy to lug a laptop around in crowds and be fast and easy for grading,clipboard with a pencil is always faster.

Please advise, love thesoftware and would be exciting to learn the possibilities in this regards.

I was curious about whether Coin Manage could make a picklist like you described.  So I did a Tools / Search CoinManage Database and put in a date and right clicked on the results and added it to the want list. 

Then I did a Reporting / Want List with Values / and directed it to print preview to see if it worked.  It did. 

The only thing is that it allocated a new CoinManage number to that coin on my want list.  I have deleted the coin from the want list now but based on past experience it doesn't ever use those deleted numbers again.  Is there any way to 'recycle' coinmanage numbers for deleted coins?

Hi, yes the WANT LIST WITH VALUES report seems close to what you were asking for.  You can export the report to several formats, including Excel, PDF, CSV, etc.

Our USA data does not come exclusively from the PCGS listings, for example the USA Mint products...but we try to make sure we include all the PCGS listed varieties.\

We just added many new varieties to the American Silver Eagle section, the free update that includes them will be out this week.

please report any missing info to: techsupport@libertystreet.com

we put the reports in our bug database and go over them for the updates.

On 2/18/2017 at 11:08 PM, admin said:

You can export the report to several formats, including Excel, PDF, CSV, etc.

please advise how because the options for exporting on my software under the "File" selection only include the following;
"Export to microsoft access"
"Export to html"

need  excel and csv

edit-----figured this part out, however, it does not export the values for all grades of each coin, can this be done?

Edited by coinop
fixed

just to confirm and clarify, I can in fact get the excel report to export grades BUT, it dumps them all into one field with commas separating them.

When I do a fixed width delimiting during print setup, and place the width delimiting pins, it still brings all the grades into one field.

PLease advise the steps required to produce a report with each grade in its own column.
thanks!

HERE I will recap whats outstanding.

#1-I am curious where you get your canadian coin pricing from? "

AND

just to confirm and clarify, I can in fact get the excel report to export grades BUT, it dumps them all into one field with commas separating them.

When I do a fixed width delimiting during print setup, and place the width delimiting pins, it still brings all the grades into one field.

PLease advise the steps required to produce a report with each grade in its own column.

We arrive at the values from consulting leading guides and online dealer prices,..auction results.

What grades do you want to show on the report?  The program has many grades and it is not possible to do a report that would contain all the grades it would be too confusing.  If you can list the grades you need we can do a report that will show them and any other fields you need.

• 2 weeks later...