Backup still unusable, data lost

erb-57

Hi

Ever since using CoinManage I am experiencing problems with the backup function. Whenever I want to backup my collection, the programm does the following:

1. The dialog to enter the backup location opens
  2. After directing to my backup folder the backup runs

There is no backup file created in the designated folder, instead the current COINDESC.MDB is overwritten with a MDB-file, e.g. "COINDATA-02_24_2017_08_33_5102_24_2017_08_33_51.MDB". In consequence, the software returns an error "File:'...\COINDESC.MDB' not found" and can not be closed.

I had reported this problem by e-mail to Liberty Street support when I started using CoinManage over a year ago, but never received a solution (actually, I didn't even receive a reply). I did find out, that renaming the file back to COINDESC.MDB resolves the error problem, but I have to backup my collection data by storing copies of the original COINDESC.MDB file manually. Because I received no answer, I refrained from troubling support again.

However, my problem has now raised additional issues. I tried the backup function with the new version of the software, but it failed again. After I renamed the backup fil to COINDESC.MDB a complete denomination category was missing, and if this can not be remedied, I will lose at least two full weeks of work (my last manual backup).

I checked the entries (ID) in the CM2001MAINCOLLECTION table, and the coins are still there in the table. I also checked the images folder, and the image files also are still there. I recreated the denomination, but the items did not reappear.

Is there any way to reactivate the entries in the MDB file, by reassigning them to a still visible or a new denomination?

Any help (except "impossible") would be most welcome.

Regards

erb-57

Hi admin

Thanks for the immediate response. Am I supposed to attach anything to or write anything in the e-mail? Or is the e-mail just to ensure that I am not a robot?

With respect to a newer version: I am currently running CoinManage USA 2017 and just recently updated to the latest version.

If my backup problem is fixed (hoooray), what about my second problem, the data loss?

Regards

erb-57

I don't see any email you sure you sent it to: libertyst@gmail.com?  If you come on our CONTACT US page and click on LIVE SUPPORT ONLINE someone can remote to your machine and look at your data,. many times the problem is the data is In another file somewhere else on your machine and we can retrieve it.

We did a remote with this customer earlier,  the problem with the "lost coins" was basically that a few of the coins in the table that stores inventory entered by a user, had a reference to a coin type that no longer existed.  There were about 20-30 such coins and they could be seen again by manually setting the coin type id to an existing Type.

There was also a problem with backup, it may be because the user had a huge inventory entered and most of the coins had very large hi-def images attached.  There may be some problems creating such a huge ZIP file to store all this data we are still working on this.

Indeed you did make a remote with this customer :).
It was challenging, but absolutely brilliant. Thanks so much for the live support ... it solved my immediate problem and, additionally, at least an answer to my backup problem. My relief was huge, when I was able to "restore" the 166 coins missing by checking and referencing to a correct/existing coin type in the database. They are back in all their splendour.

The backup problem may well be due to the size of the pictures: Currently there are 16524 images used with a total size of approx. 4.5 GB in my collection. And it is quite easy to work around the direct backup function by manually backing up both the database and the image folder.

Thanks to admin and to whoever was on the other side of live support - you have made me one happy customer again :D