Constatnt Error message

Guest Rick

Receiving the message "Encountered an Improper Argument" after upgrading to latest release and update.  Continually displays. Cannot get rid of it with using task manager to close the application.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thomas

Evaluating HomeMange now for purchase. The lack of support replies in this forum have convinced me to uninstall and keep looking at alternatives.

I can't afford to spend weeks entering all of the items in my home into an application that may or may not work afterward - and has little to no support.

Hi, we have spent quite a bit of time on this problem.  Since we can't duplicate it anywhere it is hard to fix.  So we have made quite a few changes to protect against memory leaks or buffer overwrites.

We have released a new version of the program recently, if you wish to download the demo again you can check it out. 

Guest Rick

No change.  Cant use product: keeps displaying this message and prevents using application at all.  What can I do? Do you offer chat or phone support? No one ever seems to be available in chat area

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Rick,

Here is what Idid if "fixed" ??? the error.

'I had just started using Home Manage, created a folder "books for sale" and added 9 book successfully. Then I added the tenth book bar code "9780672329814".

I clicked add item I got error  "Encountered an Improper Argument" and it continually displays. I cannot get rid of it without using task manager to close the application.

So I fired up HM again and deleted last record added. I re-added the same book and got the same error. So I looked through the forums and did the following 
1st. deleted the wcd file.

Re-fired up home manage. Added book but thought in the titl is says C# 3.0 so I thought may be the "#" was causing the error so I changed "3" to "sharp" and added the record. No go.

2ed. Delete All ../Software/Liberty Street Software/HomeManage nodes in both HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Tried to run HM and system say no HKEY so I did a re-install. Now with the record in the database with "C sharp" I can now add more books.

We need this resolved because reinstalling every time we get this error is dumb.
'
try it and let me know

Rick,

Here is what Idid if "fixed" ??? the error.

'I had just started using Home Manage, created a folder "books for sale" and added 9 book successfully. Then I added the tenth book bar code "9780672329814".

I clicked add item I got error  "Encountered an Improper Argument" and it continually displays. I cannot get rid of it without using task manager to close the application.

So I fired up HM again and deleted last record added. I re-added the same book and got the same error. So I looked through the forums and did the following 
1st. deleted the wcd file.

Re-fired up home manage. Added book but thought in the titl is says C# 3.0 so I thought may be the "#" was causing the error so I changed "3" to "sharp" and added the record. No go.

2ed. Delete All ../Software/Liberty Street Software/HomeManage nodes in both HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Tried to run HM and system say no HKEY so I did a re-install. Now with the record in the database with "C sharp" I can now add more books.

We need this resolved because reinstalling every time we get this error is dumb.
'
try it and let me know

opps, just went back and tried to add another one and it failed

Guest rhrosebr

Rick,

Check and see if you have more than one "NO LOCATION" and/or it is not in the location shown. While the risk.png screen shot attached shows where it is supposed to be the rick1.png shows where I remember it was when I started having the error. The application was not in full screen mode so I did not see the full list and don't know if there was more than one "NO LOCATION" but I do remember "|"in front of each line under the "+"  of Main Residence. 

So you have to be fast as it take a few seconds be for the error starts to show up, high lite the out of place location then hit delete key and delete it. Then shut down the application and reboot the computer. Fire up the application and see if it fixed the problem. If it does not then follow the steps I took in previous post.

I not sure If changing "#" to "sharp" had any effect.

Randy

rick.png

rick1.png

Guest Same Error

I am having the same error.  I can not do anything with the program because the error message just keep coming up time after time.  I had to reinstall program after computer problems and that is when I got the error.  Any ideas on a way to solve the problem.  With is the program is useless.

Thanks rhrosebr. My No location was in a different location. I tried deleting it altogether. no difference. I guess I have to re-install.  I hope that works.

Vendor above said they cant replicate and others are obviously having the issue.  vendor stopped replying to this thread, and no one responds to chat or phone.  WHere on earth is the support?

thanks

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest Geoff

Hi All,

I'm yet another victim of the  'Encountered an improper argument' fatal error. I've just purchased the software and assumed until now that it was something I was doing incorrectly. Its some comfort to know its not just me.

I've done all the usual troubleshooting things including uninstalling, cleaning registry items and reinstalling anew. The problem remains. I originally encountered the error trying to import my inventory from an excel csv file. I used an original csv file, then I used HM's export database file as a template. In both cases, after importing I got the following, constantly repeated, error message: 'Encountered an improper argument'. I think the trigger is selecting anything within a list window. I opened the application then interacted with a number of menu items: help, add item etc. without an issue, but within moments of selecting within a list window the error messages began. 

I've reported my issues to Tech Support. The program has so much merit its frustrating to be stymied so soon.  Hopefully there'll be a response soon. 

Guest Rick

Since upgrading to current version of Home Manage, I have been receiving the error: "Encountered Improper Argument" and am prevented from using the product entirely.  I have been unable to reach support via email, chat, phone or forum, and am currently helpless with my issue.  Can some PLEASE help me? Thank you (see attached again)

home manage error.docx

home manage error.docx

• 1 month later...

I am having the same error "Encountered an improper argument".  I had it with my old computer before it stopped and still have it with my new computer.  I loaded new software on the new computer.  It did not appear to have a problem until I loaded the data from the old program.  Then I started getting the error.  I can not use the program with this error.