Adding a New Catagory to a Country Collection

Guest Larry

Guest Larry

I am trying to add my "stampless" US covers to my "United States"  Collection under "My Collection."

I created a new folder (Free Covers) and then made up Scott numbers for these Military "Free" and Congressional "Free" covers.

The items were saved, but they immediately moved out of my "Free Covers" folder and were added in at the end of my "General Issue" stamps under my "United States" collection.

So, any suggestions on how to add a Category (like the "Air Mail," "General Issue," "Parcel Post" etc.)?  Preferably as a category under my "United States? collection.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, dickelliott said:

You can add new categories under the Stamp Data Manager under the "Tools" menu

Hi, this is correct.  To create a new Category under a country you would need to use the STAMP DATA MANAGER.  

StampManage has all the countries/stamp issuing entities and categories listed in the SCOTT catalogues, to create a new category can be done in the STAMP DATA MANAGER

Guest Larry

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses!  It works!

Thanks again.

The current problem is that the "Scott No." is simply an "x" for all items.  I wanted to try to give different "Scott" numbers for the different types of covers; WW II covers, congressional free mail, etc.  Any suggestions?

I try to input new Scott numbers but they do not take.

Larry

Guest Colin Pattrick

Larry. Slightly confused, you say in your initial comment "I created a new folder (Free Covers) and then made up Scott numbers for these Military "Free" and Congressional "Free" covers"  and now go onto "I wanted to try to give different "Scott" numbers for the different types of covers".

However your covers seem to be in the correct Country   (United States with CountryID of 347)

You have now created a New Category (Stamp Manage calls it Type). If you called it the new Type "Covers" then you will need to Prefix each cover Number with 'Mfreecovers' for Military Covers and 'Cfreecovers' for Congressional Covers. (or set up Two New Categories, instead of one)

Assuming your Free Covers have a numbering system, your numbers cannot Clash with United States General Issue. Also your Prefix has to be unique and cannot clash with United States Types currently used.

You mention that the covers appear at the end of your General Issues for US, so they must be unique numbers. For the covers to appear in your newly created category/Type you will need the 'TypeID' for this category/Type.

If you know TypeID go straight to (b)

a) Go to the Database listings, Open the table called 'Types' and search under 'descriptions' for your new covers category and note 'TypeID' with CountryID of 347

Go to Database Listings, Open the table called 'Varieties', Highlight the Column labelled 'varietyID', right click and sort A-Z, You New covers that you entered will be at the end of this listing, currently With (CountryID of 347, TypeID of 1). You need to change the 'TypeID of 1' to  your newly created 'TypeID'

Regards Colin Pattrick

colin AT colinpattrick DOT com