Adding New Categories

sjstamp

I added under the country "Aden" a new category "Kathiri State of Seiyun". When I added entries to this new category the Scott numbers were linked to the entries listed under Aden. When I changed the picture for one it changed the picture for both. How do I create a new country title?

Hi, as in the SCOTT catalog, the scott numbers for a country must be unique. You cannot create a sub-category under a country that has scott numbers the same as the parent country.

We went through the SCOTT catalogs for the 2015 version and added every country/stamp issuing entry into our database.

Is "Kathiri State of Seiyun" listed in the SCOTT catalogs under the letter K or along with Aden? Will take a look tommorrow.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I also want to accomplish what sjstamp is trying to accomplish by adding a new category "Kathiri State of Seiyun" to the country "Aden".  I also would like to add the category "Quaiti State of Shihr and Mukalla" to Aden.  As sjstamp noted, both of these categories are listed in the Scott catalog under Aden.  I am using StampManage 2016.  I'll be watching for a solution.  Thanks!

Dear psgeorge,

I worked around this problem by adding a "K" in front of the catalog numbers for Kathiri.  The 2016 update picked this up so you will find Kathiri listed with K numbers.  I suppose this will also work for Quaiti but I haven't tried it yet.  Hope this helps.

Ron

Thanks for the response sjstamp...  I also thought of renaming the Scott #'s for Kathiri and Quaiti.  I'm sure this will work.  However, I have two big problems with this.  First, this is simply a bandaid for a problem with StampManage.  In a relational database, you can query for data using search criteria on specific fields in the db.  In this case, if you simply query for "Country = Aden" and "Scott # = 1", the resultant data would be Scott # 1 from Aden, Kathiri or Quaiti (ie. three values returned).  Obviously a problem...  However, if you have a 3rd field where you can specify "Aden", "Kathiri" or "Quaiti", then you will get the correct result.  This will allow the Scott #'s as published by Scott to be used without modification.  Personally, I do not want to get into the business of keeping track of which countries I modified the Scott numbering system in.  I am fairly confident that Aden is not the only example of this problem with the numbering system.

Secondly, if you implement this system of modified Scott #'s for Kathiri and Quaiti, what happens down the road if StampManage fixes the problem and releases an update which uses the correct Scott #'s?  Actually, I need to understand how this works for all updates.  For example, if I add a stamp to a country where the Scott # did not exist in the country and later a StampManage update adds this stamp, what happens to the entry I made?  Is it overwritten?  Again, if I have entered a number of stamps in several different countries and an update occurs, how do I know what has been modified?

In conclusion, I would like to see the problem fixed in a fashion where the Scott #'s do not need to be modified.  I have enough problems keeping track of stamps without having to refer to a cross reference table.  Whether this is accomplished be modifying the queries to add an additional search term or by treating Kathiri and Quaiti (for example) as a seperate country (or some other method), the main objective should be to maintain the integrity of the Scott numbering system.

I've had a question in the back of my mind about StampManage.  Since it is licensed by Scott to use the Scott numbering system, why are all the Scott numbers not in the DB.  Surely Scott could have provided a basic file with all the numbers for every country which would include basic information such a description, perf, color, etc.  They could even provide the pictures.  Now I suppose it came down to a matter of money.  The more you pay for the license, the more data you get.  I don't put this pass Scott.  They do have an investment to protect.  And... this may be purely conjecture on my part.

Anyway, I am going to hold off for awhile to see where this goes.  Hopefully, we'll end up using the Scott #'s as they are.

This problem of adding the two states of x and y under Aden casus a problem when using the Scott #'s as described in sjstamp's original post.  Has there been any progress in being able to add a new country?  This would allow us to add as countries...

Aden - Kathiri State of Seiyun

and...

Aden - Quaiti State of Shihr and Mukalla

We could then use the Scott Numbers as they are in the Scott catalog.

Thanks!