Thumbnail doesn't always update when an image is edited

Only once when I edited a photo did the thumbnail update after I edited the photo. I noticed at the time when the thumbnail did update that I edited the photo using Paint, while now I am editing it using my default editor which is Irfanview. I don't know if the difference in behavior is due to the program being used for editing.

After editing an image I press OK on the Item Properties dialog with the Item Picture(s) tab selected, hoping that this will trigger an update to the thumbnail. I also tried selecting another tab before pressing OK, but this did not fix the problem.

I notice that after editing that the image on the Item Picture(s) tab does not change, even if I select another tab and go back to the Item Picture(s) tab. It only changes on the Item Picture(s) tab if I save the item and then re-open it.

The only way I have found to force the thumbnail to regenerate (other than to regenerate all of the thumbnails from the Tools menu) is to reopen the asset, and then copy the image and paste it back on itself. However, since HomeManage reduces the quality of images when they are loaded or pasted (I can see the reduction in file size), this manipulation reduces the quality of the jpg. Since the image I am editing is an image which HomeEdit has already reduced in quality, this adds up to three reductions in quality, (one by HomeManage when I originally loaded the image, one by IrfanView when I edit the image, and another by HomeManage when I copy and pase the image).

How does HomeManage know if the image has been edited? Does it use the file date? Hash code? Perhaps if I knew this I could take an action to make HomeManage recognize that the image has changed so it will regenerate the thumbnail.

Ideally, HomeManage should be able to detect if the image was changed after the thumbnail was last generated, and regenerate the thumbnail when required. As a second choice, I would like the ability to regenerate the thumbnails for just one asset to fix cases of missing or mismatched thumbnails.