AssetNum is not set to HomeManageID for Duplicates of assets

garlin007

I note that when you add a new item to HomeManage it assigns the same number to AssetNum and HomeManageID. However, if you Duplicate an asset, and if there are unused AssetNums (because you deleted assets), it does not. I don't think that this inconsistency was intended.

I suggest that when you Duplicate an asset that HomeManage should assign the same number to the new asset's AssetNum and HomeManageID.

I have not thoroughly researched and repeated this bug, but here is what I think is happening. Let's use a hypothetical example. Suppose that I have 197 assets numbered from 2-93 and 95-104, and 106-200. Assets 1, 94 and 105 were deleted, so there are no assets with those AssetNums nor HomeManageIDs. My guess of what is happening when you Duplicate an asset is that the program assigns the next number in sequence using Access for HomeManageID, but assigns the first unused AssetNum which is greater than the AssetNum of the duplicated item to the new asset. Using my example, if I duplicated item 50 the program would assign HomeManageID 201 and AssetNum 94 to the new item it created.

Please keep in mind that this is just a theory based on which AssetNums I saw were assigned to the new assets I created using Duplicate. I discovered this problem days after-the-fact when I was trying to match photos to assets and discovered that the photo numbers didn't match the AssetNums for a few items in my database. I remembered that I created those assets using Duplicate and confirmed that there were no duplicate AssetNums in my database, meaning HomeManage assigned unused AssetNums to Duplicates it created. I have not actually verified that this happens every time you Duplicate an item nor have I determined the algorithm for assigning the new AssetNum. I note that AssetNum 1 wasn't assigned to any of the duplicated items, yet is unused in my database. This is why I am guessing that the AssetNum assigned to the new items is an unused number greater than the AssetNum of the item being duplicated.

Hi, that sounds correct.

The program tries to make sure each item has a unique Asset #.

The program uses the uniqueid you mention to name the photo filenames. This unique id cannot be changed by the user. It is an AUTONUMBER field in the database file and is guaranteed to be unique.

Please note that when you delete an asset it is simply moved to the DELETED ITEMS folder.

In my case, the HomeManageID is important to me since I have exported the inventory into a workbook into which I import the images programmatically, and I need the HomeManageID to do this. I have also shared the images in the AssetImages folder, so I am using HomeManageID to identify assets. At present I can only show the AssetNum on the HomeManage screen, so it is important to me that AssetNum and HomeManageID are the same. This will be rectified in the next version, when you plan to add HomeManageID to the list of possible fields that we can show on the lists.

The present behavior does ensure that each item has a unique AssetNum, but doesn't ensure that all new items start with AssetNum = HomeManageID. Does your message imply that you don't plan to change which AssetNum is assigned to new assets which are created by Duplicating existing assets?

True, when you delete an asset it is moved to the deleted items folder. In my case, the assets I deleted were assets I had accidentally entered twice, so I also deleted them from the deleted folder, leaving a gap in the AssetNums.

• 2 years later...

I'll have a similar issue which really scares me.  Was this fixed?  How are AssetNum and HomeManageID each used in the windows and on reports?  Are these values unique within location or just within the db as a whole?