Questions, comments

jim88

I just got done doing a massive collection migration to CoinManage.

I want to start out by saying that it is a very intelligently written software. I have discovered many features that I like.

A couple of questions and a suggestion.

What is the F-16 grade. Is that suppose to be an F-15?

I thought it was usually F-12 then F-15.

Would it be possible to make the bullion value default as the value in coins that don't automatically show their value when a coin grade is selected. For example, I have a foreign coin that is F12 and I don't know the value of it but I want to leave the grade as F-12 and not select B.V. but I would like to have the bullion value display.

Also is there a way to reuse the CoinManage numbers? I have had to delete a fair amount of coins and I notice that when you add another coin it doesn't re-allocate the number. Is there a way to do it or maybe you could add that feature.

Jim

With regard to reusing asset numbers, I use HomeManage, but it has the same behavior where asset numbers are never reused. In a way this can be a good thing, since by never reusing numbers there is little chance of a conflict/confusion when you look at inventories from different dates. This could happen, for example, if you needed to restore your data from a backup or if you compared a report that you printed a while back to a current report. However, if you have a reason that you want to reuse the numbers of items that you previously deleted, then one thing to remember is that when you delete an item it is moved to Deleted Items, and is not actually removed from the database until you also delete it from Deleted Items. (Same idea as the Recycle Bin in Windows.) If you want to reallocate the number of an asset that you deleted, then edit it in the Deleted Items folder and move it to the appropriate folder in your collection. Once you have permanently deleted the item from the Deleted Items folder, though, it will be practically impossible to reuse the item numbers of the deleted coins.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got done doing a massive collection migration to CoinManage.

I want to start out by saying that it is a very intelligently written software. I have discovered many features that I like.

A couple of questions and a suggestion.

What is the F-16 grade. Is that suppose to be an F-15?

I thought it was usually F-12 then F-15.

Would it be possible to make the bullion value default as the value in coins that don't automatically show their value when a coin grade is selected. For example, I have a foreign coin that is F12 and I don't know the value of it but I want to leave the grade as F-12 and not select B.V. but I would like to have the bullion value display.

Also is there a way to reuse the CoinManage numbers? I have had to delete a fair amount of coins and I notice that when you add another coin it doesn't re-allocate the number. Is there a way to do it or maybe you could add that feature.

Jim

Hi, yes I believe it should be F-15, we will change the wording for the next free update.

Right now you can only choose one or the either regarding B.V. We can look at a way to accomodate both.

When an entry is deleted you would need to compress the program database to free up the unique ids. This is not something we would want to do after every delete as it can take 20 seconds or more. We will try to add a compress database option, maybe as a separate utility that can be used outside of CoinManage. If you have Microsoft Access it is possible to open the COINDESC.MDB file and compress it, make sure you backup before doing this.