Convert xlsx to mbd file

WillyT

Hello!

I have my fathers (who passed 42 years ago) Stamp collection and enjoying his estimated 20k stamps all in envelopes and boxes. I don't have access to the back-up but had exported a spreadsheet. I tried importing the spreadsheet into Access file so Stamp Manage could read it, but it doesn't. Please help. I have used excel for decades, but Access very little.

Bill Toothaker- Rochester, NH

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2015 at 4:00 PM, WillyT said:

Hello!

I have my fathers (who passed 42 years ago) Stamp collection and enjoying his estimated 20k stamps all in envelopes and boxes. I don't have access to the back-up but had exported a spreadsheet. I tried importing the spreadsheet into Access file so Stamp Manage could read it, but it doesn't. Please help. I have used excel for decades, but Access very little.

Bill Toothaker- Rochester, NH

Guest Excel to Access

Yes you can import files from Excel into Access if the two files are compatible.

However its not as simple as pressing a button.

Each column(field) needs to be in the same format.

With Excel Text fields you just type, whereas Access Text fields you need to set Max length.

Excel date fields have to mirror Access date fields e.g. dd/mm/yy or dd/mm/yyyy etc (you can use Jan,Feb ... or January, Febuary..)etc

Excel numbers also need to mirror. e.g. Long or short Intergers, No's of decimal places.

So once this is set up and Imported into Access it will still not work in Stamp Manage.

Your fields have to mirror Stamp Manage fields with:-

Countries have to have ID numbers. Type of stamp (General Release,Air) need seperate ID numbers for each country. Scott Numbers need to agree with the seperate Image Files and all Scott numbers need to be Split Up into Prefix, NumericNumber and Suffix.

Once done you reach yet another barrier. The CountryID, TypeID and Scott Numbers need to be unique. (No duplicates)

Its a daunting Task, not to be recommended.

However I love Access.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, the last response is accurate.  Like I mentioned in a previous post we are working on a CSV file import.  You would first save your Excel spreadsheet to a CSV (comma separated text file) and then import it into StampManage

Our AssetManage business software has this feature so we can move some of the code to StampManage but it still needs a couple months of work to function properly.

• 1 month later...

I am so looking forward to file import capability.  I recently purchased StampManage and I have over 400 Excel files that I need to import.  My Excel files are set up on a country basis (workbook) with some countries have multiple worksheets for sub-categories such as provinces, offices abroad, occupation, etc..  I don't keep much in the way of information other than Scott #, condition, value.  I do have notes tied to stamps which will need to be manually entered.  I'm checking the website every day for information on when this functionality will be available so... get back to work!  :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Colin Pattrick

Bill Hi I wrote the comments above and have achieved a crude version of Excel to Access. If you contact me direct I'll have a go at your problem. I need about 10 countries (not popular countries) and a very very small sample. from colin(AT)colinpattrick(DOT)com

• 9 months later...
Guest Jim Case

Is the CVS import function for StampManage available yet? I have a simple Access database (just one table) I made years ago that I have been using for awhile and I am interested in upgrading to StampManage. I would probably only need to import three or four fields and use country/Scott number to link the old file either as a CVS file or an Access database.

thanks

Jim Case

Hi, no it is not.  When is is ready you will need to have the SCOTT number of the stamp as one of the import fields.  You will also probably only be able to import 1 country at a time.  We have started work on the import, it is present in our home inventory software and so it is a matter of getting the code to work in StampManage.

• 2 months later...
Guest Tony in Mich

Is cab ready, how do you associate user images to the data? Say I have Timbuktu scott 1-500, cataloged in a file....csv ... and all of the stamps scanned as .jpg images in a directory, how do I marry the two dAta sets? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-8 at 1:48 PM, Guest Tony in Mich said:

On 2017-5-8 at 1:48 PM, Guest Tony in Mich said:

Is cab ready, how do you associate user images to the data? Say I have Timbuktu scott 1-500, cataloged in a file....csv ... and all of the stamps scanned as .jpg images in a directory, how do I marry the two dAta sets? 

The Stamp Manage Database sets an ID for each country. This ID is also the Folder Name for that country set within the Image Directory.
Your JPG images will also need to be saved, using Scott Numbering system, within the Image Directory.

There is NO Linking needed between the database and the image files. The Access Database used by Stamp Manage does this marry up, without the need for linking.

Regards Colin

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎08 at 8:48 AM, Guest Tony in Mich said:

Hi, we store the images as the SCOTT number of the stamp with the extension .jpg.

Each country has its own numbered folder, for example, the USA is number 347.

we should publish a list of countries and their folder number, will do so in the near future.