Report showing "face value" total of coins

SailorGuy

I am a new user to CoinManage 2017 and am not an experienced coin collector (yet).  

I purchased CoinManage because I am a very satisfied customer of HomeManage home inventory software and because I have a specific coin inventory use case.

My father-in-law recently passed away and we found a box filled with dozens of film roll containers, plastic bottles, and ziploc baggies filled with thousands of coins.  My mother-in-law has asked me what we should do with "all this money."

My first goal is to get all the coins entered into CM2017 so I have an accurate list of the entire coin collection and a simple "face value" total of the coins (denomination times quantity, i.e. 2000 quarters times 25 cents, 650 dimes times 10 cents, 300 nickels times 5 cents, etc.).  Then I'll start determining what the collector value is based on grade and demand.  That's when I'll research how to be a bona fide coin collector and study the terminology and best practices.

I may have missed it, but is there a standard report (or a way I can generate one) that shows simple "face value" of the coin inventory?

Thanks,

Sailor Guy

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What you can  do while waiting for a change to the "reporting segment" of CoinManage

The following example should work for any Country

Start a new Collection and name it:   Face Value

In the upper left-hand corner of the program right-click on File or the Icon below to Add a New Coin to your Collection

Select a Country              : United States

Select a Denomination   :  1 Cent

Select a Type                    : Lincoln (any Type will work under Denomination)

Select any  year                : 1940

Select a Condition            : Use the grade Poor (no automatic value will be entered by the program)

Enter a Quantity              : Example (1565)

Enter a Cost                      : Example ( .01) Face value of the individual Coin

Close the  Dialog Box by right-clicking on OK.  At the bottom right-hand area of the program you should find the total number of Items, 1565 with a Total Cost (face Value) of $15.65 and a Total Value of $15.65.  Continue this process with your other denominations.  When Collection is highlighted all of your coins are accounted for and the Total Cost is shown.  When you open your Collection and highlight an individual Denomination, the information in the bottom right-hand corner will reflect only quantity and cost for that entry.

To produce a report, highlight your Collection" Face Value"  and right-click on it.  Next right-click on Output Report Using.......  In the dialog box that appears, go to the bottom of the listing and select (right-click) Coins - SummaryBy Type .lst,  and then right-click on Open.  When the next dialog box opens right-click on the "upside down pyramid"(left of the Options Button)  and then right-click on Preview and then Start.  If you are satisfied with the report repeat the process and print it this time.

I hope this was helpful and my apologies if the level of  detail offended you.