Update file wants to install only on C: drive

dealio

I have an issue with the update that downloads when I select the Check for Updates.. option on the Help menu. After clicking the option, I get the prompt from the O/S to allow the update process to run. I click yes. The HomeManage 2017 Update dialog box pops up and I click next and it tells me that there is a newer version of HomeManage 2017. I click next again. A download of HM2017Up.exe proceeds to completion, followed by the next dialog that states the March 4, 2017 update is a free update and the usual boilerplate about closing all apps before updating. I do so, then click Next and I agree to the terms of the license, then click Next again. It is on this box that the update informs me that it will install the update into C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeManage. The problem is that my installation of HomeManage is NOT on the C: drive and I don't want it there. It is on the E: drive. However there is no option apparent on the dialog box to tell the update process to install the update in a different location. How can I update my installation of HomeManage with the March update?

TIA

David

Screenshot 2017-03-18 15.57.03.png

• 6 months later...

I encountered the same problem as recently as today (10/15/2017) when I attempted to install the Oct 6, 2017 update.

I originally installed the software in 07/2016 when I first bought it in the "C:\Sw\HomeManage" installation folder.  A few of the updates since then did correctly update the "C:\Sw\HomeManage" folder.  But the last two updates (at least) were "hard coded" to "C:\Program Files(x86)\HomeManage" and now I have files split between two different folders (see the attached PDFs of the folder contents).  And my version still says "17.0.0.31" on the "About HomeManage" screen.

What is the best way to correct this situation?

Thanks,

Sailor Guy

HomeManage_Installed_In_2_Folders #2.pdf

HomeManage_Installed_In_2_Folders #1.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

SailorGuy,

I had the same result with the most recent update. Since experiencing the issue earlier this year (March), there seems to have been no progress in correcting the issue, despite the comments above made by the admin. Unfortunate, but my guess is folks who install the app anywhere but the default location are in the minority, and so we perhaps may get no solution. I hope I’m wrong.

I’ve found no work-around. Also, the admin suggests that the location in the registry is where the app should install, though he doesn’t mention where in the registry (HKCU, HKLM?). I searched the registry for both HomeManage and LibertyStreet and found multiple entries, but none of them contained the default path on C: drive; so it seems that the install location is hard-coded into the install, leaving us no option to update our installations properly.

• 2 months later...

Paul (Admin) and Dealio,

Was this issue ever resolved where you can specify a non-default installation directory on an update?

If not, I'm fine installing it into the default directory.

However, since at this moment, I have files installed in two different folders, and I want to clean this up so the program files are only in one folder.

Can I backup my data folders (AssetImages, Backup, Reports, and Assets.mdb) and just un-install and delete all program files from the two locations? Then re-install the latest version into the default install directory and then copy back my data folders and MDB file?

Thanks,

SailorGuy

Hi SailorGuy,

No this issue was never resolved. Unlike previous updates, if you want to apply this update, you’ll be forced to install a second installation on drive C:.  The update ignores all other local drives you may have and provides no option to manually specify a different drive. 

You can try installing the update and check to see if it recognizes where your data file are automatically.  But if you want to change where your data files are, then the backup and reinstall solution seems the smarter way to go.

• 3 months later...
On 3/18/2017 at 4:48 PM, admin said:

Hi, the update should install to the same folder as stored in the Windows registry, we will take a look at this.  We have a new update coming later this week so we will correct the problem.

Has there been any progress on this issue? When is the update (or new version?) expected?

Thanks

David