Add Stamp Wizard Stopped Working

Gerry F

After using the Wizard to add a couple hundred new stamps from my collection without a problem, suddenly the Wizard has stopped working.  Specifically the Paste button is no longer accessible (grayed out - see below).    I usually scan a page of stamps, save as JPEG, then open the JPEG page scan in Windows Paint, select the stamp image I want to enter, copy, then paste that image into the Wizard. However, the Paste function is no longer available.  I tried various things such as closing and then re-opening the program without success, and ultimately the entire program locked up.  I had to close it using the Windows Task Manager.  It is no longer locked up, but the Paste button remains unavailable.

Help. 

image.png.ca4b6c5403ad421b8391701c3235ec40.png

Guest Colin Pattrick

Stamp Manage uses Microsoft Access Database. Lots of the work to update the indexes is done in the background, and not noticed by the user. When you add a couple of hundred records/images to a large database then Access needs time to catch up. It does not want more data added until its sorted these new additions. Normally catch up takes less than 2 minutes and one can continue. Time for a Cuppa.

Thanks Pattrick.  It certainly took more than two minutes - the problem persisted for well over an hour before I quit checking, but when it rested overnight, things fell into place again.  Your explanation makes quite a bit of sense.  It would be nice to get an error message, however, rather than try to guess what was wrong.  Gerry

Guest Colin Pattrick

Hi Gerry

Microsoft Access would not create an error message, as there is no error to report. However your computer will not accept further updates, until ACCESS is ready. This is dependant on your Processor, your computer speed and if other programs are running in the background. Its not Stamp Manage's fault.

Best of luck with more additions

Colin

colinATcolinpattrickDOTcom

Colin,

First, my apologies for previously addressing you by your last name - I catch on sooner or later. . . I think . . .

As a matter of fact, in an earlier problem I encountered with StampManage, I DID get an error message.  I don't know what program generated it, but again, StampManage locked up, and I had to terminate the program.  The error message gave an error number which I tried to capture (851 or some such?), but it disappeared before I thought to do a screen print.  It also asked if I wanted to report the error to 'the publisher' (here again, my memory of the incident has faded - it was about a month ago).  I responded yes, to send the report to the 'publisher',  The software appeared to do so, but subsequently I received a 'failure to deliver' message from my ISP.  The failed message was the automatically generated error report.  I did not attempt to re-send to Liberty Street.

Anyway, thanks to all for the feedback on this issue.  It's gratifying to see the software being actively supported.  I helps me justify the time I take to scan and enter the data for the many stamps in my collection that seem to be missing from the master database. 

Respects,

Gerry

Guest colin@colinpattrick.com

Gerry. No problems with addressing me by surname, it happens often. I take an active interest of Stamp Manage, but it contains errors and wrong images, too many to keep addressing. I went out on my own with a 620,000 database and with 280,000 images. Best of luck with Stamp Manage, a wonderful program, that needs improvements.

ColinATcolinpattrickDOTcom