Jump to content
Guest Robert Dobbs

Before I buy, need feature check

Recommended Posts

Guest Robert Dobbs

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting a database program, after I realized I'm just creating a database the hard way - with Excel.  However, I had no idea how hard the bug would hit - and I have quite a few notes in my collection at this point, with information that is important to me also kept in my spreadsheet-from-hell.

Before I settle on a database, I need to be sure some issues are addressed by the program.  I can't find these answers (or at least easily) on my own.

1) Can the program IMPORT from my existing spreadsheet (I can't bear to enter it all in by hand again)

     - As Excel, .csv?  I assume that I would have to reformat my Excel to get field headings correct, etc.  Is my assumption correct?

     - What are ALL the fields it collects info on (or a link to this info, please - I'm not a monster!)

2) May I add fields to the database?

     - I have an interest in the Obligation the note bears ('This note is legal tender for all debts, pubic and private', or 'THIS NOTE IS A LEGAL TENDER AT ITS Face Value for all Debts Public and Private, except Duties on Imports and Interest ON THE PUBLIC DEBT'), on both the front and the back (if any).  How the 'promises' change is of interest to me - and I'd like to be able to report on that.

3) May I include scans of my actual notes - in addition to the standard representative picture?  

     - It might be nice for insurance purposes, as a quick visual of condition to see if I wanna buy another better note, etc?

4) Does it allow me to have different fields for *MY GRADE* vs. *A GRADED NOTE*?

     - I have some graded notes, I need to be sure I keep track of the 'official' grade, yet...

     - I'm making an effort to develop my eye towards grading notes well - I would like to keep track of my grade

     - Thus - I need two fields.  I'd like to send a few in (or go to a show), pay the fee, and see if I'm any good - or getting better with practice!

Thanks for the help here, it is much appreciated!

- Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Guest Robert Dobbs said:

1) Can the program IMPORT from my existing spreadsheet (I can't bear to enter it all in by hand again)

     - As Excel, .csv?  I assume that I would have to reformat my Excel to get field headings correct, etc.  Is my assumption correct?

     - What are ALL the fields it collects info on (or a link to this info, please - I'm not a monster!)

Hi, sorry we do not have an import feature.  Does your spreadsheet include a unique identifier like the Friedberg number for each note?  Any import we develop in the future would require such an id in order to be able to identify what note is being imported.

 

18 minutes ago, Guest Robert Dobbs said:

2) May I add fields to the database?

     - I have an interest in the Obligation the note bears ('This note is legal tender for all debts, pubic and private', or 'THIS NOTE IS A LEGAL TENDER AT ITS Face Value for all Debts Public and Private, except Duties on Imports and Interest ON THE PUBLIC DEBT'), on both the front and the back (if any).  How the 'promises' change is of interest to me - and I'd like to be able to report on that.

You could add this info to the comments section.  There is also a couple user defined fields that could be used.

 

18 minutes ago, Guest Robert Dobbs said:

3) May I include scans of my actual notes - in addition to the standard representative picture?  

     - It might be nice for insurance purposes, as a quick visual of condition to see if I wanna buy another better note, etc?

Yes, you can add up to 4 of your own images to each record.

 

19 minutes ago, Guest Robert Dobbs said:

4) Does it allow me to have different fields for *MY GRADE* vs. *A GRADED NOTE*?

     - I have some graded notes, I need to be sure I keep track of the 'official' grade, yet...

     - I'm making an effort to develop my eye towards grading notes well - I would like to keep track of my grade

     - Thus - I need two fields.  I'd like to send a few in (or go to a show), pay the fee, and see if I'm any good - or getting better with practice!

That kind of info could be added to the comments or the user defined fields mentioned earlier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Robert Dobbs

1) Yes - I do have a Friedberg for each one!  I figured using that was essential in the very beginning.
     - Would you consider writing an importer if I modified my spreadsheet to reflect your field names and order, and provided output in whatever format you needed?
     - What do you think a reasonable charge would be for that?  It's an expense either way for me, in time or cash, or both...

2) User defined field might be OK (as I want to run a report on such things - and the obligations are standardized for each note).

     - How many user defined fields?
     - Data type?  Any length limit?
     - Custom report writer and/or a way to select fields to be included in the report?
     - Since there is a limited number of obligations - is there a drop down list to select and/or a way to associate the Friedberg number to the obligation automagically?

3) Awesome!

4) So it looks as if I need at least 3 user defined fields - possible?

Thanks for answering so quickly, and assisting with this.  I know a laundry list of feature requests can be annoying, so thanks for taking the time to look!

- Robert
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Robert Dobbs

How about this:

Could you  provide the schema details necessary for me to contract someone (or perhaps do it myself) to write a import script if I provided the fields?

That doesn't get your team involved in ad hoc development, and solves my problem (and I'd be happy to open source it so everyone wins).

- Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×