Location property problem

brianh

I am using StampManage2017, I have been using StampManage for at least 10 years.

I use the "Location" property/field to track the album holding each stamp, selecting it usually when the stamp is entered to the database or by double clicking the stamp from the main screen and selecting from the "Stamp Properties" > "Additional Information" tab.

Situation: Canada #4 album (for example) is about to burst so I split the contents, moving half into a new binder which becomes Canada #5. I then go to "View By.." > "Location", select the Canada#4. Then it is easy to select the group of moved stamps, right-click to "Properties" and change the location in the "Current Location" drop-down list, or add a new location. This can also be done from the main screen by selecting multiple stamps.

Problem: The change does not show in the main screen of the program. The "Location" column will be empty. If I double-click on a single stamp to "Properties>Additional information" the location is correct. Click OK to the properties and only now will the location display in the "Location" column of the main screen. There is a disconnect somewhere between setting location in the group properties form and displaying the property in the main window. Re-starting the program does not help. I don't know if this happens with other properties/fields on the group properties form.

I could select/double-click each affected stamp one at a time but that defeats the purpose of the group properties form.

Is there a solution?

Brian

Hi; I had started to use the Album/page fields, but Location did all I needed so I stuck with that. So long as I know what album it is in I can find the item. I think another thing was that when adding a number of stamps the Location will remain set when I use apply to add the stamp, while the album had to be selected again for each. (I'll try it again on the next batch to refresh my memory)

Brian

• 4 years later...

Hello again.

I'm up to version SM2022 now and the same problem is still here. I had hoped it would be fixed by now but I guess it got missed.  I still  use 'Location' because I have it set on everything from the beginning and it would be a big boring job to change everything (get enough of that kind of stuff from Microsoft).

To clarify the problem I have taken a series of screen shots to show the process. Patience please!

1.Start with program window, note 'Location' all blank.

2.So I select a group to set Location in group properties. Note I checked 1 to see if it was already set and it was, so now it displays. I could do that for the several thousand others not displaying Location but that is the 'big boring job' referred to above. It should display if set.

3.Right click on the selected group and pick 'Properties'.

Continued in next post due to file size limits

location 1c.jpg

location 2c.jpg

location 3c.jpg

Hi again. Chapter 2

4. Group properties window opens, drop down Current Location and select Canada BOB because I have moved the postage dues to a Canada BOB album.

5.'Canada BOB' selected, click OK

6. Brings me back to the main program window. 'Location' is still empty. The one previously shown is also now blank.

7.So now I have to open the properties for an individual stamp, AND select the 'Additional Information' tab, then click 'OK' button. Note the correct Location is already showing in the box. Click 'OK' and go back to main screen.

8. And voila! Location is revealed. (sorry for picture resolution - trying to fit in attachment size limits)

That is what has to be done to get Location to display on the main screen. It isn't being refreshed somewhere and won't show until the 'Additional Information' tab is selected for each stamp.

I really hope you can get this to work. Been waiting 4 years now.

Thanks.

Stay warm and healthy

Brian

location 4c.jpg

location 5c.jpg

location 6c.jpg

location 7c.jpg

location 8d.jpg