Several Questions Learning to enter my Presidential Dollars

Michael

I just purchased CoinManage 2018 and am starting to try to learn to use it.

I am starting to enter my "presidential dollars" and have a bunch of questions:

1)  When I go to add a coin, there is a huge number of "varieties" for the coins shows.  is there a way to set it so that I don't see all the varieties, but only just the "regular issue" Mint and Proof coins?  it is making it very difficult to find the "correct" coin to add since there are dozens and dozens for some of the same same date/president/mint mark.

2) Some of the presidential dollars are listed with their mintages, but many are not.  Why do some have mintages and others don't?

3)  At the top of the list of all the Presidential Dollars, there are about a dozen entries for the dates in "parentheses" that cause these dates to sort to the top and out of order with the rest of the dates.  Why are these dates in parentheses and causing them to sort incorrectly?

4) When attempting to find my coins to add, is there any way to "search" through the database of coins?  If I use the "search' feature, it only searches through "my collection".  But I want to for example search for "2009 Polk Presidential" and go to those coins to find the one to add to my collection.  Scrolling through the whole list of all the Presidential coins is very time consuming.

5)  For the Presidentials, some of the entries appear to be listed with the PCGS numbers, and some don't. For example, the "G. Washington 2007 P" has the PCGS number associated with it.  But the "J. Madison 2007 " does not have a PCGS number associated with it.  Why is this?

That's it for now, but I'm sure I will have more questions as I start testing out more features of the software.

Regards,

Michael

3 hours ago, Michael said:

1)  When I go to add a coin, there is a huge number of "varieties" for the coins shows.  is there a way to set it so that I don't see all the varieties, but only just the "regular issue" Mint and Proof coins?  it is making it very difficult to find the "correct" coin to add since there are dozens and dozens for some of the same same date/president/mint mark.

Hi, yes we know it is confusing.  Entering all those varieties was a pain.  The reason we list all those varieties is because we have many customers who enter coins by scanning the barcode on a PCGS slabbed coin.  So we need to have all the possible varieties present.  If we didn't include all those varieties we would have customers asking why they can't find a particular Presidential Dollar variety.

2) Some of the presidential dollars are listed with their mintages, but many are not.  Why do some have mintages and others don't?

yes, we will improve this.  Some of the sub varieties have known mintage.

3)  At the top of the list of all the Presidential Dollars, there are about a dozen entries for the dates in "parentheses" that cause these dates to sort to the top and out of order with the rest of the dates.  Why are these dates in parentheses and causing them to sort incorrectly?

I believe that is for "missing edge lettering" varieties.  This is the way PCGS specifies the date.  For example:

(2008) $1 Missing Edge Lettering James Monroe

The sorting is annoying we will try to fix it.

4) When attempting to find my coins to add, is there any way to "search" through the database of coins?  If I use the "search' feature, it only searches through "my collection".  But I want to for example search for "2009 Polk Presidential" and go to those coins to find the one to add to my collection.  Scrolling through the whole list of all the Presidential coins is very time consuming.

You should be using the TOOLS > SEARCH COINMANAGE COIN DATABASE.. command.  The "search" feature is used to search coins you already have in your inventory, not the entire CoinManage coin database.

5)  For the Presidentials, some of the entries appear to be listed with the PCGS numbers, and some don't. For example, the "G. Washington 2007 P" has the PCGS number associated with it.  But the "J. Madison 2007 " does not have a PCGS number associated with it.  Why is this?

We will take a look, all the entries should have a PCGS number.

Thanks so much for the detailed and prompt responses.  Greatly appreciate it.

"TOOLS - SEARCH COINMANAGE COIN DATABASE" 

Allows me to search the full coin database.. what I was looking for.

So, if I understand the way the "Search' (CTRl-F) works, is that it will pull-up a Search box to search whatever current database and selection you are currently viewing.

If I am viewing "My Collection", then the search works only within that current branch of "My Collection".

But what I don't seem to understand is that it doesn't seem to respect the search parameters of the "branch" that I am in..

For example, when I am in 2018 / US / 1 Dollar / Presidentials and do a Ctrl-F to get the search box, up in the search box, it says: 

"Search for Text in United States / 1 Dollar / Presidential Dollars (2007-)"

So, I expect the search to work within that "branch" of the 2018 database..

But when I run the search for "Roosevelt", I would expect to only see the Presidential Dollars for Roosvelt.. but instead, I get "330 hits" that also include all the Roosevelt dimes, that are in an entirely different "Branch' of the database.. so it seems to not to follow the "Search" branch that is listed in the actual search box..

How can you set it to define the "Scope" of your search to certain branches, since it doesn't seem to be working

Regards,

Michael

Thanks.

Michael

• 1 year later...
   On 2/9/2018 at 8:59 AM,  Michael said: 

Hi, yes we know it is confusing.  Entering all those varieties was a pain.  The reason we list all those varieties is because we have many customers who enter coins by scanning the barcode on a PCGS slabbed coin.  So we need to have all the possible varieties present.  If we didn't include all those varieties we would have customers asking why they can't find a particular Presidential Dollar variety.

If you're doing data entry on all the variants, would it be feasable (not more trouble than it's worth) to add an internal flag field to indicate the record is for a variant, that way code could be tied to a checkbox item in the user prefs to display or hide them.  

• 4 years later...

Is there any way to standardize the names (preferably last name  first) ? For example JF Kennedy and John F. Kennedy  have different entries. It makes it difficult to have to search through items like T.Jefferson, R.M. Nixon, etc when you are wanting to try to look for varieties of that particular coin. 

5 hours ago, DGibson5959 said:

Is there any way to standardize the names (preferably last name  first) ? For example JF Kennedy and John F. Kennedy  have different entries. It makes it difficult to have to search through items like T.Jefferson, R.M. Nixon, etc when you are wanting to try to look for varieties of that particular coin. 

Hi, we will clean this up.  Will put in the full names instead of abbreviations.