Current Value Errors

wchettel

I am using StampManage USA 2018. I collect only Commemorative stamps.

I've been entering my collection into the program year by year. I've been noticing as I enter the stamps that there are SEVERAL cases where the "Add Stamp(s)" dialog lists a series of stamps (e.g. 1387-1390) and the "Current Value" displayed is WAY more than Scott 2018 values. In the example shown below, the value listed is $3.03, but the Scott 2018 value is 25¢ each or $1.00 for the set!

Is there a way to edit or correct these incorrect values?

Thank you,

Walter Hettel

Picture0003.jpg

StampManage USA 2018 is not licensed by Scott Publishing to use their retail value listing in their database sold as part of the program. You can override the stamp program values by going in to the Stamp Manage Catalog, find your stamps, and delete an override the values to agree with Scott. I do this, but its a lot of work.

13 minutes ago, ARKCPA said:

StampManage USA 2018 is not licensed by Scott Publishing to use their retail value listing in their database sold as part of the program. You can override the stamp program values by going in to the Stamp Manage Catalog, find your stamps, and delete an override the values to agree with Scott. I do this, but its a lot of work.

ARKCPA, thanks for your reply!

IMO, it is too much work when their website says "Licensed to use the Scott Numbering System" and also states "How Much is your Collection Worth? Find out with our up-to-date Market Values including Plate Block & Sheets."

If I manually override the built-in values, will I need to update every year when software updates are issued? This would be a real pain in the ass!

The main reason that I purchased this program was to document and value my modest collection of U.S. Commemoratives. I now feel that I can't rely on the values shown by the program.

If you just enter a value in the "Value" field just above the built-in it will override the SM values for that specific stamp.  It is easy to test to do. It worked for me.  It does not update the master SM database and no matter what you change (like condition) the value does change so it appears to be an override.

Al

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 3:18 PM, ARKCPA said:

I prefer to update the SM data base so that if you tie the grade to the database, it will appear at the bottom of the screen under the Values Listing,  just saying.

Ok, just what do you mean by "if you tie the grade to the database"? Please explain!

Thanks

Enter Stamp Manage Catalog, enter year (2018), enter country (USA), enter stamp type (air mail, general issues, etc.), A Scott number listing appears were you can change the value to agree with the 2018 Scott Catalog retail prices such as by Mint VF, Used VF, etc.

1 hour ago, ARKCPA said:

Enter Stamp Manage Catalog, enter year (2018), enter country (USA), enter stamp type (air mail, general issues, etc.), A Scott number listing appears were you can change the value to agree with the 2018 Scott Catalog retail prices such as by Mint VF, Used VF, etc.

Ok, got it! Thanks for the explanation!