Jump to content
admin

Importing From Home Inventory Pro

Recommended Posts

we are getting this type of question often lately:

==== QUESTION ====

Is it possible to import a Home Inventory Pro 2001 back-up file by Radium Technologies  into Home Manager?  I recently purchased a new PC and attempted to migrate my inventory in Home Inventory Pro 2011 into my new PC and found I was prevented form doing so as it appears Radium Technologies is no longer in business.  I have a large inventory that took years to document  and I am trying to avoid re-doing my inventory line item by line item.  I am evaluating the Free Trial version of Home Manager.

=== ANSWER ====

If you are able to export the Home Inventory Pro 2011 data to CSV format it can be imported into HomeManage using the FILE > IMPORT command from the main menu.  If anyone wishes to email us a CSV file from Home Inventory Pro we can do a video on how to import this data and maybe make some changes to the import if necessary to simplify the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Joe

I am one of those inquiring about importing a backup file from Home Inventory Pro 2011.  Radium Technologies folded and left customers high and dry.  Can you provide a video and the capability to import Home Inventory Po 2011 back-up files?  If so, this would definitely convince me to purchase you HomeManage product and avoid having to start over on my inventory of thousand of books, CDs, Blu Ray Discs that too me 5 years to complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Ken

I also have the Home Inventory Pro 2011 (HIP) with many years of input data. The software does run without issues but I am looking to replace it in the near future since support and upgrade have stopped. However, re-entering all the data is just too time consuming. If I am correct, I am not the only one that has the import and export issues with Home Inventory Pro 2011. If your company can create a special import module for HIP, I am sure you will win over many existing HIP owners and I will be one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest RICKSHAW

I HAVE A SOMEWHAT SIMILAR PROBLEM.  I HAVE HAD TO DO A WINDOWS RESET AFTER APPARENT RANSOMWARE INCIDENT.  I WAS ABLE TO RELOAD THE HOME INVENTORY PRO SOFTWARE BUT NOT ACTIVATE IT TO USE THE PROGRAM.  I HAVE A BACKUP COPY OF THE DATA ON A JUMP DRIVE; IS THERE A WAY TO CONVERT THAT DATA TO THE ".CSV" FORMAT SO IT CAN BE IMPORTED INTO YOUR PROGRAM? I AM IN THE SAME SITUATION AS THE POSTER OF THE INITIAL QUESTION; I HAVE ABOUT FIVE YEARS OF ENTERED ITEMS / DATA THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SAVE AND USE.  THANK YOU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest RICKSHAW

I think that there are more than a few people who are stuck in this situation.  I know it is  not your company's responsibility but I am pretty sure in today's computing environment that there would be programmers or white hat hackers who would know how to deal with this issue.  I do not know how many original purchasers there would be of the HOME INVENTORY PRO 2011 program but i am pretty sure they would be willing to pay some reasonable fee to someone at your company to provide some solution to this problem.  You would as well gain, I am pretty sure, numerous previous users for whom, it appears, there are not many similar alternatives in the software market; your product and perhaps one freeware product that looks somewhat similar.  Is there someone at your company that could be contacted to see if we could find / advance a solution for this.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Home Inventory Pro 2011

Home Inventory Pro 2011 - Same situation, Windows 10 reset and after reinstalling Home Inventory Pro 2011, could not register my license key.  If you have a backup though of your C:\ProgramData\Radium Technologies, try to restore just this folder and all subdirectories and overwrite the existing folders.  Then launch program and Import from backup. I was surprised this actually worked. I was also lucky to have created a local backup using Easeus.com to-do Free backup utility and mount my backup to recover the folder.

I then proceeded to check the various export options and unfortunately, they do not allow for a CSV export and the Export within has the extension (*.hixz) but I could not open it.

 I was able to Export the inventory Report to PDF, then use a PDF converter to convert it to EXCEL. With Some cleanup, I should be able to export it as a CSV.  According to Tech support, I may be able to then import this into their system.... Inventory Type is a header though, so I assume I many need to do more separation into rows.  

steve evans

sesol1@optonline.net

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest RICKSHAW

For Mr. EVANS:

i understand most of what you posted but i dont understand how you can "launch the program and import from backup"; when i start my program it asks me to register the program before going any further as my "30 day trial has expired"; of course i cant register the program so i cant go any further.  How did you get around not registering your licence key? I have a backup data file on a jump drive. I had to so windows 10 reset also and reloaded the program after that.  A little confused about how you launch the program when you cant do the licence registration key process to get to the actual program; thanks for any information that would clarify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Geek

@Home Inventory Pro Users

HIP organized all the data in a Microsoft Access database. MS Access databases have file extension .mdb. I found it under Radium Technologies\Database folder named hip11.mdb. If you can still access the .mdb file, you at least recover some of your data. You can easily export the Inventory Item table to an Excel spreadsheeet to at least recover some of the inventory item information including Item names, purchases dates and prices. 

  • Open a blank Excel workbook
  • Under Data click From Access (should be among the selections to the far left)
  • Browse to the hip11.mdb file. Select it
  • You now the Inventory Item table (as it was maintained in MS Access) in an Excel spreadsheet

@Admin et al

I exported a couple rows to a .csv file so you can have a look at the column headers and data you can getInventory Table Export.csv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Geek

Sorry. I omitted a bullet. After selecting the .mdb file, scroll down to select the table you want export. For this case, scroll to and select t_inventoryitem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest ZIA

I tried the steps above from Guest Geek. But when I tried to import from my hip11.mdb file (from Access into Excel), I am asked for a Database Password.  I've never set a password (as far as I know!).  Any clues/help? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Dale E. Moore

I only have backups of my HIP data. Is there some way I can extract the MDB from the backup?

Was anyone able to get around the MDB Database Password issue, mentioned above?

I look forward to hearing from any ideas,
DaleEMoore@gMail.Com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Steve H NJ

I, too, am a frustrated HIP user. I've read these posts and I'm wondering if I can use Google Sheets instead of MS Excel as I don't subscribe to Microsoft any longer.

You may PM me at Steve162nj@gmail.com if it's easier

Thanks to anyone who can provide help on this...if I try to recreate my database I'll be doing it from the other side of the grave.

Thanks all,

Steve

Hainesport, NJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Geek

1) I have Office 365 on an old computer with an expired license. It still allows me to open the mdb file

2) You can also install Libre Office. Run Libre Office Base

  • Select Connect to existing database
  • Use pulldown menu for Microsoft Access. Click Next
  • Browse to the HIP mdb file (I'd work with a copy of it , just in case)
  • Click Finish

It then asks you to save an .odb database (that's mdb file converted). Select Tables when viewing the odb database to see the row data. Select the t_inventoryitem file.  I haven't done anything else but google and i'd expect it should allow you to export to csv or some other useable format

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Guest Geek said:

1) I have Office 365 on an old computer with an expired license. It still allows me to open the mdb file

2) You can also install Libre Office. Run Libre Office Base

  • Select Connect to existing database
  • Use pulldown menu for Microsoft Access. Click Next
  • Browse to the HIP mdb file (I'd work with a copy of it , just in case)
  • Click Finish

It then asks you to save an .odb database (that's mdb file converted). Select Tables when viewing the odb database to see the row data. Select the t_inventoryitem file.  I haven't done anything else but google and i'd expect it should allow you to export to csv or some other useable format

thanks for the info.  The key is getting to the CSV format.  Once it is in that format you can import into HomeManage.,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Steve H
On 8/4/2019 at 4:54 PM, Guest ZIA said:

I tried the steps above from Guest Geek. But when I tried to import from my hip11.mdb file (from Access into Excel), I am asked for a Database Password.  I've never set a password (as far as I know!).  Any clues/help? Thanks.

I got the same thing while trying to import the HIP file into Access.

Getting depressed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jeremy
On 1/9/2020 at 9:54 AM, admin said:

thanks for the info.  The key is getting to the CSV format.  Once it is in that format you can import into HomeManage.,

What about attachments and images.  If I have a folder full of the attachments and pictures from home inventory and I can add the hyerlinks to a column in the csv file.  If I do that, can your program link to those images/attachemnts if I drop the images in your folder for images...or better yet change where your programs image files is located?

Can I import picture and attachments links into your program if I write the hyperlinks to each item on the csv file....might be a better explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jeremy
On 5/25/2019 at 8:42 PM, Guest Geek said:

@Home Inventory Pro Users

HIP organized all the data in a Microsoft Access database. MS Access databases have file extension .mdb. I found it under Radium Technologies\Database folder named hip11.mdb. If you can still access the .mdb file, you at least recover some of your data. You can easily export the Inventory Item table to an Excel spreadsheeet to at least recover some of the inventory item information including Item names, purchases dates and prices. 

  • Open a blank Excel workbook
  • Under Data click From Access (should be among the selections to the far left)
  • Browse to the hip11.mdb file. Select it
  • You now the Inventory Item table (as it was maintained in MS Access) in an Excel spreadsheet

@Admin et al

I exported a couple rows to a .csv file so you can have a look at the column headers and data you can getInventory Table Export.csv

I was able to do this as well.  I don't believe I was opening the BACKUP file, but rather the ACTUAL database that Radium was storing in "my documents".  I believe one of the files asked for a password, the other didn't. 

Secondly, there are other categories in the access file like "t_attachment" and "t_image" that has the file names for all images and attachments.  You have to do some work with matching up the id's that each looks for, but I am hoping when I am done I can have the actual file names for the pictures and attachments as a column on the excel file as well.  I can then create a second column with liberty's folder location and merge with my file names for a new picture/attachment file link.  Then I can copy all images to liberty's folder.  However, that would rely on liberty's software being able to import those file path locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jeremy

I found it at "my documents/radium technologies/home inventory pro/1.0/Database

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jeremy
On 9/13/2018 at 3:03 AM, admin said:

we are getting this type of question often lately:

==== QUESTION ====

Is it possible to import a Home Inventory Pro 2001 back-up file by Radium Technologies  into Home Manager?  I recently purchased a new PC and attempted to migrate my inventory in Home Inventory Pro 2011 into my new PC and found I was prevented form doing so as it appears Radium Technologies is no longer in business.  I have a large inventory that took years to document  and I am trying to avoid re-doing my inventory line item by line item.  I am evaluating the Free Trial version of Home Manager.

=== ANSWER ====

If you are able to export the Home Inventory Pro 2011 data to CSV format it can be imported into HomeManage using the FILE > IMPORT command from the main menu.  If anyone wishes to email us a CSV file from Home Inventory Pro we can do a video on how to import this data and maybe make some changes to the import if necessary to simplify the process.

What about attachments and images.  If I have a folder full of the attachments and pictures from home inventory and I can add the hyerlinks to a column in the csv file.  If I do that, can your program link to those images/attachemnts if I drop the images in your folder for images...or better yet change where your programs image files is located?

Can I import picture and attachments links into your program if I write the hyperlinks to each item on the csv file....might be a better explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Hiedeaway

So for those of you asking for the Home Inventory Pro 2011 .mdb password it is: HIP2011Admin.

once you have that open in outlook  you can use the HomeManage 2020 AccessMdb import to drop your info into the database.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Hiedeaway

Using the process Guest Geek indicated.

 

Home Manage Admins - if someone gave your team a mapping example for most of the data - do you think you’d be able to add a specific import selection for HIP2011?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Greg

I have a workable solution for those of you trying to gain access to your old Home Inventory Pro backup files which you can't restore in a fresh reinstalled copy of Home Inventory Pro unless you have also saved your old licence key as you can no longer obtain one with Radium Technologies folding. So here it the solution. Go to https://filext.com/file-extension/HIB and drag and drop your .hib file onto the 'Online HIB Text Viewer' upload window.  The viewer will then display a folder tree which includes a 'Database' folder. This folder contains a database file named 'hip11.mdb'. Click on this file and download it to your computer. Then open it with Microsoft Access. Use the password 'HIP2011Admin' to open the file. There are lot's of table in the database but the one I found that contained most useful information is the 't_inventoryitem' table. Click on this to view it and then copy the entire table and paste it into a blank Excel spreadsheet and save it. Now you can access most of the details on all your old inventory items. You can also go back to the HIB File Viewer and downlead individual image files but this could be quite tedious. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...