Inventory changes show up in Stamp Data Manager values.

I recently purchased a group of early Israel mint tab singles which are valued at a significantly higher amount than the corresponding mint singles..without the tab.  Since “mint tab” is not a category that is included within the “hard coded” options (eg, pb, line pair, fdc, etc.) to add these stamps to my inventory I simply added that variety for my own inventory.  Then I noted that the stamp was “mint-fine” and entered my chosen value for the stamp.

Here is where the problem arises.  The stamp data manager for these stamps includes a value for mint-very fine, but does not have a value for mint-fine.  However, once l entered the mint tab stamps in my inventory, the values I selected (for mint-fine mint tabs) now shows up not only in my inventory, but also appears in the data manager and thus reflects a significant anomaly where mint-very fine shows up to be valued much lower than mint-fine.  This, despite the fact that I did not directly make any changes to the data manager.  So, when I eventually make changes on my own to the data manager, and upload them, these changes will show for others as well. And anyone else who then uses the database in future years will be confused as to why the vf price is much lower than the f price.  And if they go to enter a mf value for a mint stamp rather than a tab stamp they will be entering a value which is far in excess of the real value.

My point is, that I do not think these kind of personal inventory valuations should find themselves automatically entered into the database.  (And I guess this may explain why I have noticed other cases even in the US database where f was higher than vf...presumably because of a similar situation.)

Any thoughts on this from others?

HI, couldn't you simply manually enter "Mint-Tab" or something similar into the Condition field?

It is not mandatory to use one of the conditions in the dropdown, just type in a new one.

When you do this, you would need to manually enter the value.  The values should not be added to the values table. 

We have also cleaned up up some values . where Fine was higher than Very Fine.  This is included in the last free update from a couple days ago.

In reality I should be entering “tab single stamp” as the category and mint or used  f or vf , etc. in the condition field.    I do not agree with entering the “type” of stamp in the condition field.  

I do not understand why you have created a system where if I make an entry into my own inventory of a condition which was not previously listed in the data manager for a particular stamp, that this entry automatically gets input into the data manager as a value which will now appear for that stamp as if I had directly entered that info for a single stamp into the database.  I suspect that lots of collectors have categories of their stamps that are not hard coded, eg. blocks of various sizes, pairs, strips, half sheets, etc. and I understand not necessarily hard coding all of that...but if one happens to be cataloging such items, and then it turns out that one uses a condition that was not previously input into the database, I can’t see why that value is suddenly put into the database when the collector really had no intention of modifying the database that way.  It would seem a much better idea to have modifications to the database created only when the collector really wants to specifically do that.