Guest Alex O

HomeManage install messes up start menu

Guest Alex O

This isn't a big deal, but I had the same problem installing HomeManage 2018 and, now, HomeManage 2019: the installer deletes some of the shortcuts in the $USER/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu folder, i.e. it removes them from the Windows start menu. You can see this in the before and after photos attached: six items deleted from the start menu. Fortunately, expecting this behavior, I saved a copy of that folder before installing HomeManage 2019. But it's still a curious bug.

This is on Windows 10 1903 Pro x64.

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Same issue observed in HomeManage 2019 and 2020:

Had the same issue installing Home Manage 2019 on Windows 10 1803 last year.  Had hoped that this was fixed with version 2020, but am currently trialing Home Manage 2020 on Windows 10 1903, and it is again deleting shortcuts in the current user's \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder upon install (presumably deleting all other shortcuts while removing its old icon during the upgrade process).  My computer has several defined accounts, but HomeManage only installed in one of the profiles, not all of them, so this is the only one observed & affected. 

Is there an update on this issue, since it's been reported since HomeManage version 2018? (originally reported by Flying Bear)  Versions prior to 2018 installed as expected...have been using HomeManage since version 2015.  It's painful to have to write your own batch file to run before and after the install in order to put everything back whenever upgrading this nice software.

HI, we looked at this and have not been able to reproduce the problem or see where in the setup program this could happen.  The setup tries to delete previous shortcuts, but only for the HomeManage program.  Willl take another look

I built a new PC and installed Windows 10 2004 (May 2020) on it. So it's a fairly clean install at this point. I copied the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder to its parent directory before installing HomeManage 2020. The screenshot below shows a comparison (using FreeFileSync) of the pre-installation Programs folder on the left, post-installation on the right. You can see that the HomeManage 2020 installer installed two shortcuts to itself and deleted several shortcuts and shortcut directories. It left most of the Programs folder alone: the second screenshot shows the subfolders of Programs that weren't altered by the installer.

Changed files.png

Unchanged.png

Oh, wait, something weird is going on: HomeManage's installer may be changing some Windows Start menu folder names to old versions: Windows Accessories was changed to Accessories, Windows Ease of Use was changed to Accessibility and so on. The folder compare above was after I synced the pre and post-install folders.

I changed the names of the Programs subfolders back to the new names and all is well.

On 6/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, FlyingBear said:

Oh, wait, something weird is going on: HomeManage's installer may be changing some Windows Start menu folder names to old versions: Windows Accessories was changed to Accessories, Windows Ease of Use was changed to Accessibility and so on. The folder compare above was after I synced the pre and post-install folders.

I changed the names of the Programs subfolders back to the new names and all is well.

FlyingBear thanks for the post. I wasn't aware of the issue you mention, so I checked my machine and sure enough, there are several directories in the Programs subdir under Roaming that are empty and have Modified dates that are exactly the same date and time of the HomeManage 2020 dir. So apparently the install process changed these subdirectories. The ones I've noticed include these:

Accessibility

Accessories

System Tools

Windows PowerShell

I don't have another Windows 10 1909 machine to compare directory names, so I cannot tell what the names should be. I wonder if you could point me to where on Microsoft's site I can find the new names of these directories so that I can change them back to what they should be. I also wonder if any directories are missing; since the source of the problem apparently hasn't been identified, I have no way to know for sure.

Thanks

David

PS: It would also be helpful to know if the subdirectory names changed in one of the Windows 10 updates or if all Windows 10 installations use the new names.

Hi there, sorry for my delayed response; I don't check this forum much at all and it doesn't seem to have an option for email notifications of new posts.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the relevant director. You can see the directories whose names start with "Windows" and how they're the new versions of those versus the old ones, e.g. "Accessibility" is now "Windows Ease of Use". Hope that helps. HomeManage's installer clearly has an issue with this and it would be very good to have it fixed.

Annotation 2020-07-19 103854.png

Thanks for your reply.

As it turns out, I have a Windows 10 laptop on which I had not installed HomeManage 2020 that I could check. I navigated to the Program directory and found the list of directories you posted above. Then, since these are all under the Start Menu folder, I wondered what the fate of any files/shortcuts in these subfolders was, so I copied the four folders to a network NAS so that I could copy them back down to my desktop machine. Turns out there were some shortcuts in those directories that were missing on my desktop -- in fact all the shortcuts in those folders were missing on the desktop. It looks like the HM2020 installation (or some other coincident process) didn't rename the folders, but deleted them and then incorrectly recreated them. There's no reason an install should do that and it doesn't make sense. So I'm at a loss understanding what might have happened.

Below I've noted the shortcuts that were missing, by folder for anyone who wants to know:

\Windows Accessories

• Internet Explorer
  • Notepad

\Windows Ease of Access

• Magnify
  • Narrator
  • On-Screen Keyboard

\Windows PowerShell

• Windows PowerShell (x86)
  • Windows PowerShell ISE (x86)
  • Windows PowerShell ISE
  • Windows PowerShell

\Windows System

• Administrative Tools
  • Command Prompt
  • computer
  • Control Panel
  • File Explorer
  • Run

\Windows Administrative Tools -- this folder was empty

David

I hope that the Liberty Software folks are seeing this; it's a very clear installer problem that needs to be fixed. I'm holding off installing an update because it's such a pain to fix this start menu corruption every time.

10 hours ago, FlyingBear said:

I hope that the Liberty Software folks are seeing this; it's a very clear installer problem that needs to be fixed. I'm holding off installing an update because it's such a pain to fix this start menu corruption every time.

Hi we have taken a look at the setup program commands, they delete any shortcuts to previous versions of HomeManage.  Don't see anything that would cause such problems.  We will take another look in the next few days to see if we can see anything.

In case this helps: I have a fresh install of Windows 10 1809 Pro x64 in a VM lying around. I took two screenshots of a File Explorer Window of my C:\Users\alex\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder

1. Clean Windows 10 install, nothing else installed.

2. I Installed HomeManage 2020, rebooted, and went back to the same folder.

You can see how the folder names have been changed, all them when I installed HomeManage 2020 (see the folder datestamps). You should find it trivial to replicate this in your own test environment.

Best, Alex.

Clean.png

After HM2020 install.png

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.