Bug: HomeManage 2020 produces error with single quotes in fields

dealio

I attempted to put the words "Manufacturer's Limited" in the Warranty Type field on the Additional tab of the Item Properties dialog box and received a technical error. See below. I have noticed before that this error also happens when I try to put a single quote in the Description text box of the Add an Attachment dialog box. My guess is the single quote is a string delimiter in internal code and placing a single quote in a text entry confuses the code because of the special meaning of single quotes. The presence of of single quotes as text delimiters in the error message seems to support my theory. Should be easy enough to escape the single quote to fix this if I'm right. Also, if it fails in these two fields, I wonder what other fields and what other special characters (&, [, ], #, *, ", ., ?, etc.) will fail to accept a single quote (special character) in text.

image.png.81a44f554efda67c20b1066b3472b429.png

UPDATE: Just for giggles I tried adding the text "Manufacturer''s Limited" (note that I used 2 consecutive single quotes between the r and s, not a double quote) in the Warranty Type field and the text was accepted without error. I think this verifies the nature of the single quote issue and points out how to escape it simultaneously. But I found something else odd. After accepting my entry, I opened the dialog box again and in the Warranty Type field there was only one single quote (the desired outcome). After closing the dialog box, I noticed on the lower left display pane on the main form that the Warranty Type field displays "Manufacturer''s Limited" with two single quotes rather than just one. Very odd and not the desired outcome.

David

Edited by dealio
clarify the issue