CoinManage 2105 Deluxe Crashes When Adding a Coin

CM2015 Deluxe has been working great since I purchased it in mid March 2016. It just started crashing when I try to add a coin, any coin, to my collection, from any area. Either from the database, or from the sets I am adding it to or from the collections I am adding to. The same thing happens when I click on and open the Coin Properties Window. Once I open the Add a Coin Window or Coin Properties Window, after a few seconds, a crash window will pop up. I did create a variety a few days ago but it has been working fine since I added those varieties on some mint souvenir sets that were not in the database. I reviewed the help topics and found where I should remove the HEADERS.WCD file but that did not fix it. It recreates that file when I go back and check to see if it is still deleted. Which I guess it is supposed to. I also tried reinstalling the program but it is still crashing when trying to add a coin.

I could not get this screenshot to upload or attach so here is a dropbox link to the error I am getting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/asv84bn6wl9nz2b/Screenshot%202016-05-06%2009.34.03%202.jpg?dl=0

I don't get a lot of time to work on my collection but this weekend was going to be the one I had some time and was really looking forward to getting organized. Naturally, I start having issues with the software and try posting, emailing, calling and can't find a tech support/customer support person and get no response from any of those avenues. Anyone know of a good alternative to go with? It took a long time find this one but if there is no support, forget it.

Regarding the problem when adding items.  We are trying to debug this problem.. , is your display set to 1024x768??  If not what is the setting?  does it happen if you set your display to: 1280 x 1024 or higher?  We show a smaller ADD COIN dialog for 1024 x 768.

Hi,

I am also currently also experiencing this same problem, the problem only occurs when entering, or amending data. Sometime I can add 3 or 4 coins before it crashes, other times it crashes straight away. I am using Coin Manage UK 2015, running on Windows 10. My screen resolution is 1366 x 768. I tried running it on the other resolutions available (1360 x 768, 1280 x 768, 1280 x 720 and 1024 x 768) and the problems still persists. I have also deleted the file HEADERS.WCD, but after the crash this file re-appears.

The next time it crashes, can you go to your DOCUMENTS folder, then ZIP and send the ERRORLOG.TXT + CRASH.DMP files to us.  Thanks.

we have been looking at this the past couple days, taking out some code that may be causing the problem.  I'm sending out links to people with this problem that will let them revert to an older build since it seemed to happen after an update.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a user who can avoid this problem by running Coin Manage as an  admin.  Can customers with this problem please try this and report the results.  Thanks.

Hi Paul

Just thought I'd let you know that I was able to enter a coin and get the program running again by right clicking the program from my desktop and selecting "run as administrator " don't know if you already tried that or if it helps ?, but you may be able to pass that on as a temporary solution to other members if they are having the same problem?! 

Cheers. 

Peter 

I didn't try the "Run as Administrator" yet but I will if I start having the issue again but, late last week I started having issues with my Outlook. It would freeze when I would compose a new message. I had to open it in Safe mode to disable all of the Add-ins and work thru them one at a time until I found one that would make Outlook lock up when sending a message. It was my AVG Antivirus. What is interesting though is that when I have a problem with any program, the first thing I do is temporarily disable the Antivirus to see if the problem persists. Outlook still locked up when I completely temporarily disabled the AVG program itself but it worked fine when the AVG program was enabled and the Add-in was disabled.

So, I decided to play around with CoinManage to see what happens. When I first started having issues with CoinManage crashing several weeks ago I temporarily disabled AVG to rule it out as the problem. CoinManage still crashed so I ruled AVG out as the problem. But, because I still had issues with outlook when I did that even though it was an AVG Add-In giving me the headache, I decided to create exceptions in AVG so it would ignore CoinManage to see if that would help.

Before I created the exceptions, I temporarily disabled the AVG program to see what would happen and it still crashed when I tried to Add a Coin.

Then I created 2 exceptions, 1 for the Application File (CoinManage.exe) and the other for the CoinManage documents folder.

After creating the exceptions, I was able to add 3 coins and update the properties on three existing coins and CoinManage did not crash. So, so far so good.

Can you tell from the Crash and Error logs you have received from people with this issue what antivirus they are using? 

Ok, so disabling AVG antivirus with the COINMANAGE.EXE program resulted in the crash disappearing?

I will email the people with this problem to see if there are using AVG antivirus.  If so, that would explain why only a few people are having this problem.

thanks for the informative post, much appreciated.

• 1 month later...