Help creating a custom "one item per page" report

SailorGuy

I am trying to create a custom report that prints all (or most) of the information of an asset inventory item on a single page.  I have attached a mock-up of what I want the report to look like.

Ideally, I’d like to simply customize the “Item Detail (1 Item per Page)” canned report supplied with HomeManage because it provides a good starting point for the report layout, etc.

But I couldn’t find the associated report “.LST” report definition file in the Reports folder, so I guess I have to start from scratch.

I have several design characteristics:

• I’d like each inventory item to start on a new page.

• I have the item information organized into separate sections (Item, Location, Category, Acquisition, Warranty, Comments, Asset, etc.)

•  I want to use conditional formatting to suppress sections that have no data.  For example:  If there is an item record that has no “warranty type” and “warranty expire” fields, then the whole “Warranty Information” section including the section heading should be suppressed.  Or if there are no comments/notes on the record, then suppress the entire “Comments Information” section including the section heading.  … You get the idea….

I’ve been working with the Combit List & Label 21 Designer Manual and the HomeManage documentation, and my biggest challenge is what type of report container or field element to add to allow me:

• Access to the full list of fields and data in the HomeManage Assets database

• To place field labels and data in non-table form on the page so I can format one asset item per page with a page break on each new item.

I’ve tried inserting a “Report Container” but none of the element types allow me to place fields and data in “free form” on the page.

I believe I’m missing something simple to get me started here.

Can anyone offer suggestions?  Or can you share a custom report format that does “full page” display (non-table) of asset item information?  Or point me to the ".LST" report definition file for the “Item Detail (1 Item per Page)” report?

FYI… Once I get this report built, I will share it on this forum for other people to use or modify.

Thanks,

Sailor Guy

HomeManage-Report-Example-Full-Details.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

Thank you for posting the video about using file cards to create a "one item per page" report.  That was the piece of information I was missing to get started.

I've made significant progress in laying out my report, but I do have several questions I will post shortly - primarily around conditional suppression of empty line item detail and entire section suppression.  I need to experiment a bit more.

Thanks again for the prompt response and support!

Sailor Guy

Paul,

I have completed my first version of my file card report.  I can upload it so you can take a look at it.

Do I just upload the .CRD file, or do you also need the .CRP and .CRV files too?  Do any of those files have any of my data included in them? I assume they are just report configuration parameter files and my data is isolated in the assets.mdb database file.

The file card report works great running from "Reporting -> File Cards -> Output File Cards Using..." 

However, is there a way to have my report show up in the Search for Text dialog box in the "Run Report" report selection list so I can sort/filter for a subset of data and use my own report.  The selection list in the "Run Report" pull-down list looks like a limited set of report options.

Thanks,

Sailor Guy