Stamp Manage Database usage

Al G.

I have entered and submitted updates to Liberty Software and noticed some differences in how people add information.  

Fields (based upon column names)

1. Variety - Majority of people use this for the Scott design number. A few use it for variety details.

2. Variety Type -  mixed usage. Some use it as definitive/commemorative, others use as Scott design number, also see used to describe why stamp was issues

This is added in the "Type"  box..  For entries created by Liberty Street, I see variation in usage.

Two examples.

image.png.9f06009f90dbc09cae4214da047f71db.png

image.png.4dab7fb6ac288e9366614638249a2e66.png

3. Variety Notes - mixed usage.

The text entry is called variety comments

image.png.2e9ca19c991627cd4f9f0f568b07b964.png

I would expect this is where you put the actual specifics about variety (like surcharge, etc)

4. Series

If the stamp is part of a set like definitive, I like to use this for grouping that do not have a name as they would be grouped in an album.

5. Other Text

This text come from the Text on stamp box but also see other information in this field.

image.png.17566b508622e566bd04c40eb9c3dc34.png

6. Definitive/Commemorative

SM uses as indicator for definitive/Commemorative (check box) and shows up as a true/false field. Therefore using another field is redundant unless you want to see definitive/commemorative instead of true.

image.png.37865d7688201226e1cc8ea934f7eff6.png

I wonder about others thoughts and maybe having a guideline on how to use some fields.

• 2 years later...

I see this constantly,

1. Also duplication of data in several fields.

2. Multiple info in one field, repeated in other fields, example: series, description, Scott #, perforations, watermarkmark, color, denomination, etc,

3. series info in variety comments

4. Just overall confusion

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, TomTouch said:

I see there is a lot of interest from support on this topic

I think I have said this previously. We are constantly making changes and improvements to the database.  You are welcome to do some sort of difference analysis from a data file dated a year ago and the current one to see the thousands of improvements.

I'm puzzled why you would continue to use the product if you do not like it.  Why not switch to a competitor's product?  they even have the ability to import StampManage database files last time I checked. 

The reason I continue to stick with StampManage is because it is the best designed application, I have found.

I have downloaded and browsed the updated db and continue to see the same errors, even from libertystreet users. Inconsistent data input (no standard method). All I request from updates are NEW ISSUES.

I quess I will quit the forum... So I don't continue to ruffle feathers

Thanks