Adding different types/varieties in the Values Section of Stamp Data Manager

When I use the stamp data manager to add a stamp or to edit a stamp in the Stamps-Text section, the final part deals with values and that lists mint, used plus fdc and pb only.  Yet many stamps in the database show sheets, line pairs, etc. as part of the basic types that can be chosen when adding a stamp to my collection.  So how does one put those additional categories for new stamps into the database?  Maybe I am missing something that is obvious here....but I sure don't see where that is?  Thanks, Ken

Hi, the STAMP DATA MANAGER is used to edit the pre-defined database that ships with the program.  It is not used to add stamps to your inventory.

to specify whether a stamp is a PB, FDC, etc.. you would do that in the ADD STAMP dialog after selecting which variety  you are about to inventory.

I guess I was not clear.  Let’s say that I want to add a new coil stamp to the database.  For that stamp I would be able to insert into the database a price for various mint and used singles, for a fdc, and even for a non-existent pb.  But how do I input into the database the category of and price for a line pair, or for a pnc of 3 or 5.   The reason that I am confused is that when I do go to add an existing coil stamp which is already in the database  to my inventory those classifications are already there, but if I am adding a new coil stamp into the database I don’t see how that would be done since as far as I can see in the database the only types that can be added and priced there are the various mint and used stamps plus fdc and pb.....nothing else.

does this coil stamp you wish to add have a unique SCOTT number?  we have various coil stamps with SCOTT number fields set to numbers such as shown in the attachment.

To set a value for a line pair you would need to go into STAMPMANAGE CATALOG > 2019

then open the category.  See the line pair value field in the value display - attached image 2

PNC.png

linepairprice.png

Okay....now I see how I could add a value for a missing line pair for a coil or a sheet value for a regular stamp, etc.  Another question.  Israel stamps are mostly collected as mint tab stamps rather than just mint single stamps.  Scott generally shows values for both mint singles and those with tabs as separate entries.  Yet there is no value field for mint tab stamps in the STAMPMANAGE CATALOG >2019.  Can a value field be added for that and if so how does one go about doing that?  If so, then I might consider a project to value the Israel tabs for the database.

Hi, we would have to add the Mint Tab value column.  The program is "hard coded" for the value columns you currently see and cannot be changed by the user.  This Mint Tab value is only for Israel stamps or is it present in other countries?

• 5 months later...

Scott catalog shows a price for "Israel with tabs" by set rather than by individual stamp (with some exceptions).  But it does not assign either a major or minor catalog number for the "with tab" variety- it just shows an entry for it.  I'm just beginning attacking the database for my Israel collection, having just finished a gargantuan effort for U.S. and Canada.  Given what I learned there, I discovered that the convention for Scott "priced but without a catalog number" would be added to the database as a suffix after the next higher level catalog number.  So 30 with tab would be 30.01.  That way it will NEVER conflict with a Scott-listed "30a" or "30b".  The only issue is- even when market values are available, it will NEVER match to suffix numbers like .01 when imported.  So I'm ready to take it on if needed (Israel isn't THAT big a country)---- but I'd really like to find out whether the market values shows for major Scott numbers for Israel like "30" or "31" ALREADY are values with tabs.  If so, then we need to go a different direction than adding suffixes, and simply declare that if anybody wants to list an Israel stamp WITHOUT a tab- THAT would be a suffix.  (But then it's going a bit different direction than the Scott catalog has taken).  How do we find out how the sources for the market values are quoting values for Israel?