HomeManage 2020 won't unlink a duplicated copy of a linked record

dealio

I have a NAS for which I bought several HDs (hard drives) of exactly the same brand (WD) and model (Red) but different capacities (10 or 12TB), and from three different vendors. I wanted to add the HDs to inventory with the proper product details such as order number, S/N, P/N, model, dealer, warranty, etc. as well as cost details. I created an item with all the this information in the designated fields, then linked the NAS unit as the parent item using the Linked Assets tab of the Item Properties dialog box. Then I duplicated the item several times. The duplicates were smart enough to blank out the S/N field so I could fill it in with the actual serial numbers; but unfortunately it unchecked the Insured and Taxable fields as well -- not the desired outcome. Not a huge problem and easily corrected. As not all of the HD are installed in the NAS (some are spare drives), I didn't want all of them linked to the NAS because that doesn't reflect their true status as spares. So I went to the Linked Assets tab, and in the Parent Asset with this item as a child box, I clicked on the only asset listed there (the NAS) which enabled the previously grayed out Unlink button, which I clicked. The NAS disappeared from the Parent Asset box and I clicked OK. But the Parent Asset still showed up in the summary pane to the left of the Images pane. I figured it might not have updated so I clicked on another asset, then back to the original asset, but the Parent Asset was still present. Then I opened the Item Properties box for the HD and on the Linked Assets tab, the NAS was listed as a Parent Asset, as if I had not unlinked it. I know no way to unlink the asset short of deleting the asset and creating it from scratch, which is a lot more work and which defeats the purpose of using Duplicate.

Anyone know a work-around for this problem? Anyone else having trouble using the Duplicate feature?

TIA

David

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...