Column for Individual Stamp Value?

maineiac13

When I go into my collection, one of the available columns is titled:  "Current Value"  That column represents the value for the specific item multiplied by the quantity.  So for example, if one has a stamp that is valued at $5 with a quantity of 3, the "Current Value" shows that listing as $15.  But as far as I can tell there is no column available to show the value of the individual item (in this case it would be $5) Is it there but I just am missing it?  If not, it would be a good addition since when looking at a collection, it makes it difficult to immediately see the value of stamps if the current value represents the cumulative value not the individual value.  

On 8/18/2020 at 5:09 PM, dickelliott said:

Why not just make multiple entries for the stamp and add your own value.

Not sure I understand your question. 

Using a specific example.  Let's say that I enter US stamps #5252 and 5253.   Both have a MVF value of $.90, but I have 3 of #5253 and only 1 of #5252.  After entering those stamps, when I look at the main collection page it will show that the "current value" for 5252 is $.90 and the "current value" for 5253 is $2.70.  In reality of course the current value of #5252 and #5253 are both $.90, but #5253 shows as more only because there are 3 in my collection instead of 1. 

I don't have a problem with a column that shows the total value of all of the #5253s in my collection, but would also like to be able to see immediately the individual value of the stamps, not just the total value and then have to remember to divide by the quantity to find out the individual value. 

What is even stranger is that if you "click" on the "Current Value" column to sort the collection by that column, the sort does not actually use the values in that column for the sort....instead it sorts on the individual value of each stamp rather than the cumulative values shown in that column.  So, in the example I just gave, the two stamps would be sorted together for value purposes even though the actual $ amount showing would not be the same. 

So obviously, the information about the individual stamp value is retained in the system....but there is no column to show that.

That is because the values are stored in two different tables.  The individual value is in the value table.  The current value is in the Collection table.  Think of the the Value table and the Stamp Database Table as the Scott Catalog and the Collection table as what it is your collection.  So the current value is the number of stamps that you own times the value in the value table.  The only way I can see to solve your problem is to make 3 entries of 1 stamp each in the collection table and enter your own value if it is not listed Example for a stamp with F/VF centering which is not listed   Hope that makes sense

14 hours ago, dickelliott said:

That is because the values are stored in two different tables.  The individual value is in the value table.  The current value is in the Collection table.  Think of the the Value table and the Stamp Database Table as the Scott Catalog and the Collection table as what it is your collection.  So the current value is the number of stamps that you own times the value in the value table.  The only way I can see to solve your problem is to make 3 entries of 1 stamp each in the collection table and enter your own value if it is not listed Example for a stamp with F/VF centering which is not listed   Hope that makes sense

That is my point.....All I am suggesting is that there be an additional column available (i.e. taken from the value table as you describe).  As I pointed out, if one sorts the collection on the "Current Value" Column, the sort does NOT actually sort on that basis.  Instead it sorts on the "individual value".   If the program can (and for some reason does) sort the "Current Value" column on that basis then surely it would not be difficult to also have a column (presumably named "Individual Value") representing that information for those of us who want to show that information directly in our collection.