Definitions For Current Value Categories

Guest charettep

Guest charettep

I recently downloaded and installed the trial edition of StampManage 2020. Started to input my collection.  I have a number of what Hipstamp defines as "unused" stamps and I was quickly confused by the current value categories currently offered by StampManage (and yes I saw how to update/change values for existing categories).  But what it is unclear to me is the definition that Stamp Manage uses for the various categories it has (for example MINT VF versus NH VF).  I also have a number of stamps that have a variety of gum condition (NG, RG, etc...). I see where I can identify this is the database but don't see how this affects the value.  So generally I'm having a hard time setting values for stamps I own particallarly those considered "unused" by Hipstamp (just started collection about a year ago).  Any information on where I can find information on how to value my current collection (definition of each value category as defined by StampManage) would be helpful.

Also, is there anyway to automatically link/get my cost information from Hipstamp (where I purchase 95% of my stamps) and import into StampManage?

Finally, I already mounted all of my stamps. Can I take a picture of stamp in the mount and have in software ID it from this pic or do I need to remove from the mount?

Thanks for answering these questions!

Hi,

MINT-VF = Mint VF

NH VF = Mint Never Hinged Very Fine

you can do a google search and find most of this information online such as this page

Philatelic terms explained: A guide to stamp collecting abbreviations (warwickandwarwick.com)

the gum condition affects the value but how much depends on each stamp.  StampManage does not alter the value depending on gum condition.  We also don't have a way to import HipStamp values.

the optional Stamp Search program from LignUp will allow you to scan a stamp and then search for it online.  See www.lignup.com for more info.

Thanks for the reply.  Based on your response, I am trying to understand the valuation process.  Looking at the categories defined in StampManage, I came up with the following Matrix (see below). Is this a fair representation on how to classify the value categories?  What is the difference between NH and mint? Is Mint simply a stamp that is not used (does not have cancellation)? Could Mint have NG, RG, or HINGE, and thus have different "MINT" values? 

image.thumb.png.b3959e021388f3540cdea03f9dc16600.png   

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png