Way to use HomeManage 2020 with a test database?

dealio

Is there a way to use HM with a second "test" database? The "test" database would be a copy of my original database & images & attachments and I'd use it to try some things in test so that if it doesn't work out well, I don't ruin my primary database. For example, learning how to use the Clone functionality properly, or when manipulating images, or when working around bugs I find that haven't been fixed yet.

Thanks

David

NOTE: I've asked about some of the items I would test in this forum, but have received no guidance on those issues. So its left to me to figure it out. A test db would help me determine answers without risk of corrupting my primary database whenever its necessary to do that.

Hi, all the text data in the program is stored in the ASSETS.MDB file in your DATA folder.  HomeManage will use the file called ASSETS.MDB in the data folder when it is run.

So you could make a copy of this file, run your tests, then rename the copy back to ASSETS.MDB when finished.

13 hours ago, admin said:

Hi, all the text data in the program is stored in the ASSETS.MDB file in your DATA folder.  HomeManage will use the file called ASSETS.MDB in the data folder when it is run.

So you could make a copy of this file, run your tests, then rename the copy back to ASSETS.MDB when finished.

I've thought of that idea and the MDB is the easy part (though the renaming approach is potentially prone to mistakes). But seems like it's not a good or complete solution. For example, how would this work when images of the assets I'm testing are involved (for example, adding, deleting or rearranging images)? Wouldn't it corrupt my image repository so that when I switch back to the "production" MDB, the images will not be as they were before?

And a secondary concern: wouldn't the same problem described above for images exist for any reports that I might modify while in "test" since the report files aren't in the MDB?