What does "Submit User Changes to Liberty..." do?

crossrh

...and don't say "it submits user changes to Liberty ..."

What kind of changes do you folks get?  My scans of stamps?  Value changes (that wouldn't make much sense)?  Or, more sensibly, changes to Variety data, like changing a Scott # suffix to match the catalog?  That sounds like the kind of data you folks would want.  What else would be helpful?

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

This is more trouble than its worth.  Some people submit changes that match their collections and not the correct catalog info.  Example, their own catalog numbers, or varieties that dont exist in the catalog. It always creates an unnecessary editing problem. I always copy my own stampdata.mdb file before an update, then copy it back to the data folder. My opinion is that liberty street should do away with this option  

On 8/31/2021 at 9:13 AM, dickelliott said:

This is more trouble than its worth.  Some people submit changes that match their collections and not the correct catalog info.  Example, their own catalog numbers, or varieties that dont exist in the catalog. It always creates an unnecessary editing problem. I always copy my own stampdata.mdb file before an update, then copy it back to the data folder. My opinion is that liberty street should do away with this option  

I agree that the process often creates problems.   

1 - Incorrect (and irrelevant) Information provided through this process does not get corrected by Liberty before being incorporated into updates.

2 - When incorrect listings and images are DELETED by the user, this deletion is not carried through on updates  A good example is to look at the Poland database and my thread from last year: 

Unfortunately, however, SM does not do its own updates for many (most?) countries, (as an example, when I worked on the Poland database last year it had not been updated since 2010 and with disastrous updates for 2008-2010) consequently the only way they get updated at all is through this method. 

• 2 months later...

I'm (slowly) adding images of all the US Souvenir Pages to my database.

I wonder if I email the Admin just prior to selecting "Submit User Changes to Liberty" with a brief explanation of what specifically I'm wanting them to update, this would help them focus on just the images I added.

Rick