"Cannot update. Database or object is read only."

Guest mdetroit

Guest mdetroit

Hi folks,

I've updated to StampManage 2022. I am using Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac, operating Windows 10.

When I start StampManage, it opens fine, but when I try to add, edit, or anything else, I receive the error message "Cannot update. Database or object is read only."

I have checked the mdb file, and it is read/write. I have "fixed" the file in Access per instructions on the Liberty website, but I continue to receive the same error message.

By the way, I was encountering this error prior to upgrading to StampManage 2022. The folks at StampManage thought the upgrade would fix the problem. It has not.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with Windows 10, but I cannot find any other command or box that tells me the file is read only. Everything I see is read/write.

See the pics attached.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 8.25.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 8.27.17 PM.png

Do you know how to check the NTFS permissions on the database (go to the folder where the database is located, right click and choose properties, go to the Security tab). It should show your login username in the top section (Group or User Names:), select your username. In the lower section it should then show checkmarks in the Allow column for all the various permissions (except Special Permissions). If not all are checked, click Edit and you can change them from there. 

I don't know if that will help, but it's worth checking. 

Do you know how to check NTFS permissions in Windows? Go to the folder where the database is stored, right click on the database and select Properties then choose the Security tab. In the top section, select your user account. In the bottom section it will show you the permissions for that file. There should be a check mark in the Allow column for each of the permissions listed except Special Permissions. If it does not have Allow, click the Edit button and you can set them there. 

I don't know if that will help, but that's where I would start if it were me. 

I am running my StampManage 2022 with my Mac (OS Monterey 12.1), Parallels 17, and Windows 10.   I don't have that problem.  It appears your administrator privileges are Read/Write.  You might want to try and run StampManage as Administrator.  Right click on the StampManage icon and select 'run as administrator'.  Worth a try I guess.

Cliff

Guest mdetroit

Hi folks,

Thanks for your help on this. I've tried running as Administrator, still no luck.

When I right click on the Data file and click on Properties, I do not see a Security Tab - only "General," "Previous Versions," and "Customize."

In the Attributes, the Read Only is clicked. I unclick it, hit Apply, then OK, but for some reason, it doesn't save this new setting. When I reopen the Properties, Read Only is still clicked.

-Mike-

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mdetroit

Hi folks,

I'm at wits end. I have replace the mbd file with one repaired by Liberty. I have reinstalled StampManager 2022. I have reinstalled Windows 10. And I still get the same gall dang message! I simply cannot find an answer to add to or edit my 7000+ stamps! I've been locked out since August!

Any other advice or magic wand that anyone can offer?

Thanks,

-Mike-

• 7 months later...
I am also getting this error.  It only began after I upgraded to Stampmanage 2022.  Was there ever a solution that worked , found?