Syntax error when making changes to existing items

Guest Penny

Since installing the 2022 software version, I cannot make changes to my existing items (for instance, changing the location, or the text description).  I keep getting a Syntax error message, and then after closing that message, the program freezes up.

Syntex error message.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried updating to the latest software version several times.  Each time it states that I am running the most current version.  I continue to have the above problem (not able to make changes to existing data pages - syntax error.)

I'm wondering if I change the operator name (omit the single quote) and then back up my data, can I reinstall the 2022 software and resolve the issue?

• 3 weeks later...

Continue to have this issue since installing the newest software version.  I'm not familiar with working with Access data files (outside of the Home Manage program), but I recently noticed something that might be causing the problem.  Not sure how to correct it though.  My computer name (Microsoft User Name) used to be "Mimi's Laptop".   I have since changed it to "Penny Johnson".  My Assets file is located in the This PC>Documents>HomeManage>Data folder.  When I open the Assets Data file, the database is named:  ASSETS Database-C:\Users\Mimi's Laptop\Desktop\ASSETS.MDB

I don't know how to change the data base name, or whether that would make a difference.  I've tried changing my current computer name back to Mimi's Laptop, but that hasn't solved the issue.  I've read it is the single quote in "Mimi's" that is the problem.  I should also note that some of the items in my inventory were created by "Penny's Laptop" (an even earlier computer user name) and then modified by "Mimi's Laptop".   Some were created and modified by simply "Penny" - no single quote at all - but the problem exists with every item.  I cannot make any changes to the data and get the syntax error message. 

And lastly, even when I enter data for a new item (start from scratch)  - once I leave that page I cannot go back and make any changes to it.

I've been using the Home Manage software for some time and have upgraded to newer versions without any problems - not sure why I'm encountering them now.  I'd appreciate any ideas on how to resolve.