Multiple Varieties on Single Cover

Guest Denspriggs

Guest Denspriggs

I have many covers in my collection with more than one stamp variety on the cover.  I am interested in entering these covers into Stamp Manage that would allow me to reference the varieties.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

"I have many covers in my collection with more than one stamp variety on the cover.  I am interested in entering these covers into Stamp Manage that would allow me to reference the varieties.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?"

• It would be  an unworkable Database, due to size.
  • Since 1940 'Gilbert And Ellice Islands' have issued 200+ General issue stamps.
  • Disregarding different postmarks, each of these covers could include 1p Postage Due Stamp making 400+ Total Covers Database.
  • The Covers Database needs to include any one of the 8 different Postage Due Stamps making a 1,600+ Total Covers Database

---------------------------------

So how many combinations of 10 stamps can one find from 200+ stamps issued is:-

22,451,004,309,013,280 unique covers of which your example is one of them. I accept that some examples would not exist, but which ones would you not want included? Also there are covers with duplicated pairs, etc. with other stamps. Where would you stop?

-------------------------

With my current database of 800,000 Scott records and 450,000 images and previously studied Statistics, permutations and combinations, I understand the problem really well.

Regards colinATcolinpattrickDOTcom

• 2 months later...

You are right that there are too many combinations and permutations to have an entry for every one of them - but there should be the ability to tie different stamps together on one cover (without using user-defined fields - as I have done).  Then the DB does not need to handle the permutations - but the user is enabled to record them easily.  Still hoping for something like that.

• 7 months later...

I am also interested in a solution to this issue. I collect many, many covers and often, particularly those artists that create handpainted cachets will have two or more different stamps on the same cover. Typically one is the FDC stamp and the other(s) are a similar theme/topic.

# 0000.jpg