increasing font size

Gus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Mike-San Diego
On 11/13/2020 at 9:37 AM, Catherine Wartgow said:

I just upgraded to HomeManage 2020 for the ability to change the font size in list of assets on the home page.  Page 16 of the HomeManage 2020 Users Guide states that "Users with high resolution displays can now increase the size of the items in a list of assets."  There is no information on where this function is found in HomeManage 2020 and the information in the User Manual is incomplete.  Something is amiss here!  Hopefully someone from Liberty Street Software sees this and some action is taken.

• 1 month later...

Was there ever a response to this?  I have the same problem with both StampManage2021 and HomeManage2020.  I need to increase the font size.  Computer monitor resolution  3840x2160; external monitor  1920 x 1080 -- the font is too small on both and I cannot locate on any menu an option to increase the font size.

I don't work for LibertyStreet and so I cannot speak to the design of HomeManage, but I can share what I've learned regarding font size.

I have a 4k monitor (3840x2160) and the default font size of the interface is far too small to comfortably read for any length of time. I have noticed four distinct areas where fonts are used:

1. The UI: the application user interface (menus, dialog boxes, "Locations", "Categories" and "View By" tree lists, Search box, Add Item, Image Captions, etc.)
  2. The Asset List: windows containing asset lists (default location is the top half of the app)
  3. The Summary Pane: the windows that contains the summary info for a selected asset (usually center lower area of app)
  4. The Comments section: the largest free text are of the summary panel
  • From what I can tell, there is no setting within the application to adjust #1 above, the app user interface objects.
  • The lists in #2 above can be adjusted in the app. This is the only area the app provides users a clear means to adjust.
    In HomeManage 2020, on the HomeManage Preferences dialog box, on the first tab (Preferences tab) at the bottom of the box is a section called "Font Size For Lists of Items" and it has a dropdown selection list in it that allows me to pick a font size from 10 to 36. No units are given for the numbers. Though the numbers appear to be familiar point sizes, from my experience, they don't behave that way. For example size 24 in HomeManage appears to be the same size as 11 pt. text in MS Word. There's also a note that says you must exit and restart the app for the change to take effect.
  • There is no setting within the app to adjust the size of the text in the summary window. But I have found a way to temporarily increase the size of text in the window; it appears to behave like a browser web page (HTML-based):
    • Move the mouse pointer to hover over the summary panel (the fields have gray background and the values have light blue background)
    • Press and hold the Ctrl key while scrolling the mouse wheel (or Ctrl + numeric keypad "+" or "-") to adjust the text size either up or down. This change is not persistent and the next time you run the app, the text will retain its original size. Note also that the quality of the "zoomed" text is degraded as the kerning between letters is not adjusted consistently and the letterforms get a little distorted; however it is readable.
  • Aside from using the Ctrl+Mouse method above, in the Comments section you can add HTML tags in the text to control the appearance of the text in many ways: size, font, font color, headings, bold, italics, paragraphs and more. This is highly customizable, but significant effort and perhaps impractical for most users. To learn about the tags, see W3School's reference at this link.

Hope this is helpful.

David

Hi, regarding 4K displays.  We have an new update to HomeManage 2020 that show make the display font large automatically.  Have you downloaded the update?  HELP > CHECK FOR UPDATE from the main menu.

Regarding the other items, we will go over them in the next few days.  Thanks very much for the detailled report.

20 hours ago, admin said:

Hi, regarding 4K displays.  We have an new update to HomeManage 2020 that show make the display font large automatically.  Have you downloaded the update?  HELP > CHECK FOR UPDATE from the main menu.

Regarding the other items, we will go over them in the next few days.  Thanks very much for the detailled report.

I tried the check for update as you mention, but it is still broken from the last time that I contacted you. It just produces an error message and does not download anything. The error message is below:

Error: Update information for HomeManage 2020 could not be downloaded. Please contact Liberty Street Software for help.

My apologies!!

I just noticed that I am still running version 20.0.0.10 and have not applied the 20.0.0.14 update. Is this the update that you are referring to? I think I didn't run the update because I wasn't sure if the setup process still deletes folders in the user profile start menu\programs folder. Another user outlined all the corruption he found and I recall finding the same thing on my machine. Has this problem been fixed?

Edited by dealio
Correct my error