Consistency issue

Alan B

I'm a "newbie" with StampManage, but have been collecting and cataloguing for over 40 years.  I'm a little surprised at the lack of consistency in labeling, identifying, and numbering of the stamps in the database.  Over and over I've found that sometimes a "sheet" (translate pane) of stamps is not listed under the Scott number but is given a suffix (usually "a" but sometimes "b") when no such suffix exists in the Scott catalogue or that suffix indicates some other variety.  (For example, look at 3803 vs. 3803b.)
Sometimes the "variety" with the suffix has a value associated with it, and other times the base stamp number has the sheet price associated with it.  

In other issues, I've found more than once an item is described as a "Full Pane of 20" when in fact it comes only in a pane of 10.  (For example, look at 3783 - First Flight of Wright Brothers.)  Also I've found that an item is described as a "Full Pane of 20" when it is actually a double-sided booklet of 20. (For example, 3824b.)

Is there a proofing process, or does the administration of StampManage depend on users to point out all the issues?

Thanks,

Alan B.

• 2 months later...

Along with that - the various types of stamps are described differently for different countries.  For example - general issue stamps (no letter prefix on Scott number) for US stamps are under General Issue, but for UN - New York they are Regular Issues.  And that is just the beginning.  Just between those two "countries" alone, there are Air Post and Air Mail, Postal Cards and Postal Cards - Mint, and Envelopes and Air Letter Sheets or Postal Stationery.  Consistency in a DB should be fairly easy and it would make using SM much easier.  I still like SM, but would love to see some improvements.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...