Need Pre Purchase Info

Pro86

Hey Guys and Gals,

I sent support some pre-purchase questions and they answered them.

Then I replied with a couple follow-up questions and never got a response after multiple attempts.
So I will ask here and hope someone knows the answers.

1)  In the section "HomeManage Preferences" The "column" section.
Why is it that words have no spaces between them?  Example of just a few "BaseCost, DateSold" and others.
I ask that just because I am use to spaces between words. 

2)  The next question is still in section  "HomeManage Preferences" The "Field Names" section. 
I see 99+ user defined fields, but I notice even if data is put in most of them only a few can be used in the Column selection area.
Is it just a limitation with the trial or is there some option I am missing (Not that I would use them all, but some)?

3)  Also I had old software from a different company and they went under and closed down.
I could not reactivate the software on my new computer.

4) What happens if I buy software from you and then you (company) goes out of business?

5)  Could the software still be activated on a new or repaired computer at a later date?

6)  Or would I never be able to use on a new or repaired pc if you (company) goes under?

Thanks in advance
Fred

Hi, HomeManage has been quite popular..especially the past couple of years.. if we ever decided to stop selling HomeManage for whatever reason, we would just make the program Public Domain.  

The data file can easily be opened with MICROSOFT ACCESS.  It is not encrypted or proprietary.

We will take a look at the first 2 items.  The Demo user fields should have the same functionality as the full version.

2 hours ago, admin said:

Hi, HomeManage has been quite popular..especially the past couple of years.. if we ever decided to stop selling HomeManage for whatever reason, we would just make the program Public Domain.  

The data file can easily be opened with MICROSOFT ACCESS.  It is not encrypted or proprietary.

We will take a look at the first 2 items.  The Demo user fields should have the same functionality as the full version.

Hello,

Thanks for letting me know.

I will purchase within minutes.

Not sure if you got my email replies which is why I opened ticket here.

EDIT:  I had said fields worked in my last edit. But some still do not show up even now when registered. 

Edit 2:  I added info to fields names 13 and up and most do not show up to select as columns.

Thanks for your help.
Fred

On 4/14/2021 at 12:04 PM, admin said:

Hello,

Well not sure if I should have continued this post but the program keeps crashing.

So the user fields don't work from 13 on.

Now the crash is when trying to add new location.

When I click add location and then click on Pictures tab the program crashes with no error.

Edit: Adding Video link to the problem.

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Fred 

• 2 weeks later...

@Pro86

I'm a user just like you and I came across this problem a few years ago. Somewhere on the forum I read about disabling Webcam Features as a work-around and it worked for me. You can get to the setting on Tools/Preferences on the Preferences tab on the right side of the dialog box. Uncheck Enable Webcam Features and see if that solves your crashing problem. If it does, it probably means your webcam is incompatible with the program.

As for the second issue you mention, user-defined fields, my experience is that they are spotty with regard to how they do or don't work. I have up to 78 fields defined and most of them work, but they were created in an older version of HM (which may be key). Anyway, some of them do NOT work. For example field #25 doesn't show up even though 24 and 26 do show up. In addition, I've found that in the Preferences dialog box where you define the user-defined fields, some field numbers are duplicated. For example, Field2 2, 10,  11 and 12 show up twice on the left side of the dialog box making it appear as though you can assign a name to them twice. So I just don't use the second occurrence of those fields and that seems to work.

Also be aware that there are some other quirks with Property column (contains User Field 1, User Field 2, etc.) is sorted alphabetically, not numerically, so Fields 10 - Field 19 are listed after Field 1 but before Field 2 and similarly Fields 20 - Field 29 are listed after Field 2 but before Field 3. This may make it easy to mistakenly use a field you didn't intend to use. Its also just counter-intuitive.

David

Hi,  a couple months ago we purchased a Logitech WebCam that was reported to be causing crashes with HomeManage.   We installed it on 2 computers here and the crash did not happen.  It could have been because the drivers for the WebCam were updated we don't know at this point.  

If anybody else is getting crashes with a WebCam kindly post the model here.

We will look at your comments regarding user fields soon.  Yes there is a problem with ordering, we will try to fix that for the next free update.

24 minutes ago, dealio said:

@Pro86

I'm a user just like you and I came across this problem a few years ago. Somewhere on the forum I read about disabling Webcam Features as a work-around and it worked for me. You can get to the setting on Tools/Preferences on the Preferences tab on the right side of the dialog box. Uncheck Enable Webcam Features and see if that solves your crashing problem. If it does, it probably means your webcam is incompatible with the program.

As for the second issue you mention, user-defined fields, my experience is that they are spotty with regard to how they do or don't work. I have up to 78 fields defined and most of them work, but they were created in an older version of HM (which may be key). Anyway, some of them do NOT work. For example field #25 doesn't show up even though 24 and 26 do show up. In addition, I've found that in the Preferences dialog box where you define the user-defined fields, some field numbers are duplicated. For example, Field2 2, 10,  11 and 12 show up twice on the left side of the dialog box making it appear as though you can assign a name to them twice. So I just don't use the second occurrence of those fields and that seems to work.

Also be aware that there are some other quirks with Property column (contains User Field 1, User Field 2, etc.) is sorted alphabetically, not numerically, so Fields 10 - Field 19 are listed after Field 1 but before Field 2 and similarly Fields 20 - Field 29 are listed after Field 2 but before Field 3. This may make it easy to mistakenly use a field you didn't intend to use. Its also just counter-intuitive.

David

Hello,

Thanks for fast reply to my post' I do appreciate it.

After having many fields not work for me, the crashing and slow dev/support email requests I have returned the software.

I switched to a new program that works for me and has lots of features and they all work.

I wont require anymore help as I no longer have the software.

Thanks for your time.

Fred